Thursday, September 08, 2005

School Days

What a week. We started up our full schedule of school this week (not just the 3R's as we had done most of this summer). Our overall theme for the year is "Intro to World History" so we've already jumped into learning about how people in different parts of the world eat, dress, live, look, celebrate, believe, etc. Today we made pinatas after reading about Mexican fiestas. (We just need the candy to fill it, and then we're set for a fun time this weekend!) I also made Indian saris for the girls to play around in, plus a sarong for Adam (that lasted all of about 15 seconds and then he wanted *nothing* to do with that!) Tomorrow or this weekend we're going to make an Indian drink called "lassi." Anyone heard of it? It's a yogurt drink. Sounds like something our three will love, so I'm anxious to try it.

Our science this week has been learning alllll about water. Ice, fog, steam, etc., and we even conducted a couple experiments. (What am I saying? Adam has been conducting water experiments ever since he came home from Ukraine!)

Aleksa has been in Cutting and Pasting and Stapling heaven! She made an elephant mask yesterday that she played around with all day - and she couldn't wait to scare Papa when he got home. Thankfully, Papa gave her a good scream when he came home, which sent her into a giggle-frenzy. She's just adorable. *contented sigh*

I've been going to bed bone-dog-tired, but feeling good that the school routine is back in swing. I'm never gonna finish my book though... too busy to pick it up during the day, and too tired to read it at night. (I'm reading "Pride and Prejudice.") This is the first book "just for me" that I've picked up in ages. Most of "my" reading comes off the internet, and all of my book-reading for the past year has been for the kids. I'm stubborn though, and I'll finish it if it kills me. I'm half-way through and Mr. Darcy has just declared his love and Elizabeth has just raked him over the coals and told him to get lost. It's just getting good in other words! ;O)

Speaking of my reading my own book, my kids have been Jealous of it. Liana is driving me CRAZY demanding my attention. "Can you read me a book?" "Can you watch me ride my bike?" "Can you help me...?" With the school-stuff sucking up most of my energy, I *need* to have a "just me" time.

Btw, I've been trying to find my turkey pattern, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. The best I can do right now (not having found the pattern) is that I could trace my turkey parts and let you eye-ball it with some general instructions.

7 comments:

Shelly said...

YES! I'll need to make some photocopies evidently! lol! Thank you!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Shelly!

I'm reading Pride and Prejudice too.

Just loooove that Mr. Darcy. I'm treating myself to the A & E series on DVD for my birthday, but saving it for when we're in Ukraine.

Colin Firth..... sigh!!!

:)
Lisa S.

Anonymous said...

YAY For the Turkey Pattern. I want to make a packer one just because I think Bret Farve is a great guy, but I'm toying with an idea for a blue and white one for Colts fans around here? I'm not sure that will look so hot. I'm sure glad you found that because I was going to go buy some felt and just wing it, not ever pretty when I do that!
And btw "me" time is all that keeps me sane!
Ranee (sydneysmommy@insightbb.com)

Anonymous said...

Lisa... Wow, great minds think alike! I snuck in a few more pages yesterday when I took the kids to the park. Read a few more before bed, but I was so exhausted I don't remember what I've read, and this isn't exactly the kind of book you can just skim through. 'Least not for me! I'm really enjoying it though. Have you read "Sense and Sensibility" too? I loved that one too. (By Jane Austin as well).

Ranee and "Anon," I'll email you for your addy as soon as I get the pattern from Connie and make photocopies. Hope you can make some good $$ from them!

Shelly

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Thanks for attempting to find the turkey pattern. I found it on sewing.org so those that are interested can go there and find it. It is sooo cute. Oh, how much did you charge for them?
Thanks,
Aimee Pearsall

Anonymous said...

Aimee, I'm glad you found it... We charged either $10 or $15 for them... Mom Fisher, do you remember? (I must be getting old, or my brain is fried. Another wild day at the Fisher house... I'll post more about it later. It was a doozie.)

Shelly

Anonymous said...

I found him on sewing.org. Thanks for posting that link. Thanks Shelly and Mom Fisher for trying to find his pattern for us. I'm going to attempt this, I hope he looks half as good as the one you guys were making:)
Ranee