Saturday, March 29, 2008

Easter Update, etc.

Been wanting to post an Easter update, but I can't get my pictures onto my laptop, and have been putting off doing the computer "housecleaning" that it would take to get them there.

Anyway, I guess you'll just have to use your imaginations as to what we all look like! ;o)

We had a really nice weekend, in spite of me being on the verge of tossing my cookies with worry about Dad all day Saturday... He went into the hospital again, this time with what they thought was a heart attack, but it turned out not to be. His heart is failing, but the pain he was feeling had to do with a blockage in his bladder and/or the pneumonia he had developed. Anyway, I spent Saturday wondering if Dad was going to be ok. Meanwhile, John's parents and brother were here for the weekend. It was a really nice visit in spite of the emergency with my dad.

John's mom made the girls' Easter dresses, and made Adam a snazzy grey vest and tie. They were all adorable! (Hence my frustration over my pictures!!) They all had a different color dresses, but the same pattern and type of fabric. Liana's was yellow, Aleksa's light blue, and Abrielle's was pink.

Good Friday the kids and I made hot cross buns... (gotta love bread machines!) We'd been making Easter crafts all week, and started our cooking for this weekend on Friday.

There was a big breakfast at church Sunday morning, nice service, and then we went back to our house for a big Easter dinner. Well, first there was the egg/basket hunt. John wrote out clues to find their baskets. It was sort of scavenger hunt-ish. Abrielle got her first taste of solid food too- I let her suck on a marshmallow peep for a few minutes while we took pictures. (Thanks for the idea, Sharon!) Abby also found her feet for the first time (as in, grabbed her feet). She also stood by herself propped against the couch, and even without it for a few split seconds at a time. Liana is determined to teach her to walk - before she crawls even, I guess!

I can't believe how big my kids are getting. It makes me so sad to realize how short our time with them is. I'm going to blink, and they'll be all grown up. I keep thinking, "If this were our last (insert holiday, birthday, etc.), how would I want them to remember it?" And that makes it a lot easier for me to want to do that extra Easter coloring page, know what I mean? The week before Easter we even made roll-out sugar cookies in Easter shapes and frosted them. Never done that for Easter before. And as for the hot-cross buns... well, I'VE never even had those before, let alone the kids, but I just had to squeeze it in after I found a recipe that I had all the ingredients for, and looked rather easy. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Hot-Cross-Buns-I/Detail.aspx Well, anyway, it may be morbid to think that way, but it's a good way to live life without regrets... I'll look back twenty years from now and be glad I let Leks put on those extra sprinkles on the Easter cookies, etc. Wish I could keep that in mind on the "regular" ole' days when the kids are on the verge of driving me BATTY. ;o)

Not so much happening over here today. Regular Saturday routine today - library, groceries, laying around. Kids flew their kites, played a few games, I gave everyone haircuts after supper, and we all watched the pilot show to "Greatest American Hero" from NetFlix. (Remember that show?! John found it and couldn't resist...)

Hope you're all having a good weekend!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had a wonderful Easter weekend with you, John and Shelly. I am so glad that we were able to come. Thank you, again. It was lots of fun to see Abrielle feeling her toes with her other toes. So cute!!! Lots of hugs were shared and lots of prayers were made and still are being said for you and your family and especially for your dad. Thank you again for such a nice Easter weekend. Miss you all!

Lots and lots of love to you all,
Mom

Marnie said...

Here's how old I am: I still own the theme song to Greatest American Hero -- on a 45!!! Glad you had a nice Easter. Best wishes for your dad.

Anonymous said...

Shelly,

That's a great way to look at things! I, too, wish I'd remember that on those regular days when just getting through the day feels like an accomplishment!

Hope all goes well for your dad!

Anonymous said...

HI Shelly,

I hope your dad's doing better...I told my parents the update about him too. Glad to hear everyone else is doing good. I can't wait to see the kids' Easter outfits...

Take care,
Barb L. (your cuz)~