Saturday, July 31, 2004

Castle and Kids


July 31, 2004 Saturday

First a wonderful trip to the out-door market. I wish we could come her every day. It is filled will all kinds of things to see and buy. Interesting people, interesting fruits and veggies that we’ve never seen. Old ladies selling beautiful red roses, gladiolas of every color, and countless others that I don’t know the names of. They hold the bouquets of flowers upside down here. If you buy them, you carry them upside down all the way home. Makes perfect sense! That way you don’t stress the stems with the weight of the heads of the flowers. John and I have noticed many things here that we wish we did back home. Like parking spots in the city that you save by raising a metal level thingie out of the concrete and locking it upright so nobody can park there. When the spot-“owner” wants to park there again, he unlocks the metal thingie and it lays flat. Brilliant.

Also, if you are shopping for watermelon or other melon at the market, instead of tapping it and hoping it is good, the little babushka will cut a cork-like shape out of the end of it and let you try it. Peaches are eaten pealed here. Much better without the fuzz on it.

Also, (and this is John’s favorite), if there is a faster way to get from here to there, then that’s what you do. You can cut through anywhere, driving (or even parking) on sidewalks, on the opposite side of the street, etc. You can swing U-turns, you can go as fast as your car can take you and you don’t have to wait for the guy in front of you; you can just invent-o lane and go around him. Just maeks sense to do!

Anyway, we went to the orphanage again today and had a wonderful visit inside that tiny room where we first played with Valya and Zena. We asked them if they wanted to hear their new names today and they all smiled and wanted to know. The liked them, though it is going to take a while to get them used to them. We colored, took pictures (got our first family pic today – it’s so cute!), played and talked. Valya, er Liana, sat on my lap lots and I gave her lots of extra hugs and kisses that I think she wanted but couldn’t bring herself to let me give yesterday. She’s coming around. Today’s visit was wonderful.

Then we went to the supermarket and got water and laundry detergent. After that, we went to the fortress. How BEAUTIFUL! It had a turret or two, a view of the sea, a moat, huge beautiful doors at the entrance, etc. The castle was built in the middle ages and later added onto by the Tatars. All along the top of the castle are the stereotypical “castle” shaped edges where they would have stood to use their arrows, etc. There were narrow ledges you could walk along there, all without fences. IN the states it would have been prohibited from anyone climbing on or walking on, but we could and we did. I nearly panicked half-way across the wall. One side is a huge drop and the other side is the sea (well there was still wall on that side, but there were many cut-aways, so you could see sea. Hard to explain. We bought a small 8x12 oil painting of the castle for about $25. The same thing in the states would have been 2-3 times that. It’s beautiful and I’m thrilled to have it for the kids. I wanted to buy more stuff, but we were out of grivna (UA currency).

We stopped by the money-exchange on the way back to the hotel. We had melon for lunch. John and I had never had this kind of melon before. The outside looked like green/yellow squash, but the inside looked like cantaloupe. It tasted like neither. Vika said it wasn’t any good. Not sweet enough.

Tonight’s visit with the children also went well. Valya let me carry her to where we would play and she hugged my neck extra tight and wouldn’t let go. Zena wouldn’t let John hold her tonight. Only Mama and Tyotya (Auntie) Vika. (It’s actually a great sign that she isn’t indiscriminately friendly, so I was glad to see that. Valya’s affection is also difficult to win. She doesn’t give her smiles away to just anyone. Another good sign.

Misha is doing great. He is having a great time settling into his new family – een though we can only be a family 2 times a day. When we left tonight Misha ran to the outer gate and waved goodbye to us. When we asked him how his day was, he said he didn’t get enough to eat. I gave them all snacks, but it broke my heart. The orphanage grounds are also heart-wrenching. The is broken glass EVERYWHERE and cigarette butts. I picked up a bunch of glass just around the tiny area we played tonight. Misha likes to kick off his sandals so I was worried he’d step on some.


John and Shelly at the castle/fortress

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your family picture is absolutely wonderful!! You all look so happy and already a beautiful family. God bless you guys as you continue all the paper chases, may it go quickly and without any hitches!! Cathy in WI

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Your children are beautiful! I am so happy for you!

Elaine
Delaina's mama

BTW, what happened that Olga wasn't your translator? Do you know if she got the letter I sent for her? If you have time you can email me. I know how busy it is when you are there so if you don't have time to email I totally understand. :o) Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Shelly And John,
Just a quick note to let you know how excited and happy we are for you!! Connie has been keeping us all up to date at camp, but we are finally getting a chance to see and read it all first hand. What a beautiful family! Can't wait to meet them. Emmalee finally has a girl cousin her age. Yippee!! Love from Dennis, Mary, and Emme

Anonymous said...

We are so thrilled to read about your new family. Shelly, I told you God had a reason for your travel date and to trust in your timing....looking at your first family picture it is amazing how much you all resemble each other.

Thank you for sharing with the director about the twins. I am glad it helped you. Please ask her if she has email so I can send her some pictures. I don't kow if you are recieving your personal emails or not, but Tetyana and Yulia recognized the two older Fisher kids. They both got very, very excited and Tet said, my friend. When I told them they were on there way to America and would live close by, they cheered very loudly and quickly went to tell papa. They have not responded like this with other children, so I know they do recognize them!!!!!!!!!!!

If there is anything we can do back here, don't hesitate to ask.

Oh, in one of John's postings he mentions Valya (Liana) taking the pictures and looking at them alone. Our Yulia did this as well. This was her way to start trusting us. She would study each and every picture each time we visited them. I would not be too concerned about her doing this alone. Also, ask if you can take the kids to a larger room....there are alot of toys and exercise equipment in there. I beleive it was on the second floor. I am guessing your currently in a room down a very long, dark and dreary hallway. I am sure they will allow you some time in the larger room. It was a wonderful play area.

Looking forward to your return!!

Brenda

Shelly said...

Elaine and Brenda,

Elaine, Olga was still with another family, so we missed having her by a week or so. I gave your letter, photo album (and one letter from Cathy A.) to Dima who will give them to her.

Brenda, I'm so excited that your girls know our kids! I can't even begin to say how excited I am that our kids will have friends in America who they knew from Ukraine. I hope they will be lifelong friends. Thanks for the info about the gym... we weren't told about that. We've been playing outside or in a teeny-tiny little quarantine room. We'll Definitely be looking into that tomorrow! :O)

I'll ask the director if she has email asap. I haven't seen her since the first day, but I'm sure we will be seeing more of her soon.

THANK YOU!!!!!

Shelly

Robb said...

Shelly and John,

We talked in the past, but I was looking at Adams pictures again and Erica Ksenia (Our daughter said there were 2 Misha's in her group)and said that the boy in her group was Misha (Adam). We have several pictures of the group you you may like for Adam's scrapbook taken in Feb. 2003. If you want let me know and I can get them to you. Here is our e-mail: uacell@yahoo.com


Here is our new webpage. http://next2net.net/erica2


Robb and Jill