Monday, March 20, 2006

19 Months Home

I'm a few days late posting this. The 17th was our 19 months home mark. I've been a bit overwhelmed lately with a very full plate. It's actually really starting to get to me, but I think things are about to calm down a bit (fingers crossed!), so hopefully I'll feel more like a person soon! I took a three hour nap on Saturday to recover from last week, and I've felt lots better ever since.

A lot has happened this month!

Adam first. Seems like we're constantly pulling a "one step forward, two steps back" with him. He'll be cruising along, and then crash into the side of the road and we have to go back a little way and regroup to start again. John and I have noticed some food issues that seemed to have been quiet for a while start revving up again. We've been noticing that *every* time Adam sees that there is extra food to be had during mealtimes, he'll ask for it. Doesn't matter what it is. Could be a spoonful of peas at the bottom of a serving bowl. Could be another slice of ham. Whatever. If he sees it, he'll ask for it. He doesn't hoard or steal food though, and hasn't since he first came home. Some wounds take longer to heal than others, however. :O(

Other than the food thing, Adam has been doing pretty well! He still likes to test me to see if I'm really a) in authority over him and b) if I really love him or not. (Psssst, Adam! a) yes, I am! and b) yes, I do!)

The language thing is still his biggest issue, but he's really been doing GREAT this month! Unfortunately, the only people that really know that are me and John, because once he gets an audience, he's all show, and for some reason, shuts off the brain and starts getting silly, and he can't concentrate enough to really speak clearly and correctly. He has been speaking full paragraphs *beautifully* save for one or two words or grammar structure errors. I have more confidence in that than ever that the future is pretty bright for him regarding his speech. Couldn't always say that truthfully.

Other than that stuff, he's enjoying doing Boy Stuff. He has his tent set up in his room and has been sleeping in it quite often lately. He's got it made, really. Between his loft bed, and his tent, he's been having a ball!

Next, Liana. She's still so strong willed! I've been babysitting a bunch for John's sister's kids lately, and Liana is little-miss-mama. Until a few days ago, when the baby would come over, she was constantly reminding ME to do this, that or the other thing concerning the baby. (We had to have a chit-chat over that one). She can diaper the baby, feed the baby, rock the baby, put the baby to sleep, carry the baby around, etc. (The baby is a year old, btw). But, baby Callie has come to really love Liana too. She was following Liana around all day Friday asking Liana to pick her up.

Otherwise though, while she struggles Daily with her strong will, she does seem to be wanting to be doing what's right, and these months of constantly redirecting that "power" really do seem to be paying off. She has truly come a long way already. It's just that she's got a long way to go yet too! ;O) She's gonna be a dynamite whatever it is, that's for sure!

Liana has taken off to outerspace with her reading, and I suspect it will keep getting better and better from here on out. She has just this month discovered how much FUN reading is! YAY! Just a few nights ago, she picked up a book and read it to Aleksa on the couch, just for fun. (Trust me, this wouldn't have happened last month... either her reading would have been too choppy to keep Leksa's attention, or Liana wouldn't have wanted to do it in the first place!) It was realllllly heartwarming for this mama! :O) Adam stood over their shoulder and helped Liana out whenever she stumbled over a word (which wasn't very often), but mostly, he listened in. John and I think the whole trouble with Liana's "taking off" had to do with her will. She is a proud little girl (uff!) If she can't do something well, she doesn't want to do it, and she'll get instantly MAD at YOU if she can't do it right. That meant a rocky start at reading, since she couldn't do it right at first! But now that she KNOWS she can do it... look out world! :O)

Speaking of looking out world! Here comes Aleksa Lu! She's just blowing me away with how fast she's picking up reading. Today she read a really long story (for her - it was probably 8 lines long). She's been chomping at the bit to read "the big one" and today was the day! The other two, when they had to read this particular story a year ago, pitched Major Fits at the THOUGHT of having to read it. It's all in the attitude, I'm almost certain. Aleksa does a little cheer for herself at the end of every correct word or sentence. The other two never did. Aleksa thinks it is fun to TRY to read it, even if she's wrong and stumbles. The other two panicked. (Don't get me wrong - they did "ok" - but well, now that I have Aleksa to compare them to, I can see that they did have a harder time).

Aleksa is also little miss geographer! Our world map is on our kitchen table under the plastic table cloth (remember me mentioning that?) Well, I quiz the older two on where places are on the map every lunchtime. Well, Miss Smartie has learned these places right along with the other two. She can tell you where Ukraine, Russia, USA, China, Mongolia, India, Italy, Egypt, Greece, Kenya, the Nile River, and a few other places are! Pretty good for a 5 year old! (And pretty good for a 7 and an 11yo too, because they all know 'em!)

All three kids got baptized last Sunday! I got pretty wet myself! We "dunk" at our church as opposed to sprinkle or pour, so, as I helped them out of the baptistry, I got pretty soaked. (John sat with the congregation and video taped it). Of course, it didn't help that as I took one out, that instead of sending him/her to the changing room, I made them stay there to watch the next one get baptized too. My shoes were pretty wet with everyone's drippage. I couldn't miss it though! I wasn't about to miss 2 of my kids getting baptized because I was towelling off one! What kind of mom would have done that!? Everyone came out of the changing rooms dry except for me, because I was the only one who didn't bring a change of clothes! Anyway, it was really neat, and it sure hit home to us how far the kids have come in just a year and 7 months! Pastor said some really nice things afterwards, and it really choked me up a bit. I was glad to be hiding in the dressing room instead of sitting in the pew where I would have been all choked up in public.

I think this month, over all the recent months, has given us a clearer picture of how "life is going to be" for us. Adam's speech is indeed improving. Liana's strong will is indeed being redirected. Aleksa is indeed learning up a storm and understanding more than we give her credit for. We're getting there. But more importantly, we're enjoying the trip along the way!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shelly,

All I can say is.... biiiiiiig smile on my face and a biiiiiiig hug to all of you!!!!!
xo Lisa S.