Sunday, April 16, 2006

20 Months Home!



Happy Easter, everyone!

Wow, so much has happened this last month! The biggest, most earth-shattering news is that John got a new job in Minneapolis, and we'll be moving up there as soon as possible. We're hoping to find a house in Hudson, WI, though, just across the river from the Cities. We'll see. John actually signs the contract tomorrow, (er, today, depending one when you're reading this!) He was off shootin' at some food the other day, and all of a sudden up through the ground came this job... ;O) That's almost what happened. They found him, not vice versa, so this was a sudden (and very welcomed!) surprise. We're going to hate moving away from family and friends, but well, the next chapter of the Fisher Adventure is about to start! John's first day of work is May 8th. (!). The kids are excited, but I don't think they fully understand what all of this means. Adam is ecstatic at the thought of getting a dog. Hopefully it will work out that we can buy a house instead of rent one, but I don't want to rush into anything. Wanna get what I want, if you know what I mean... But, well, probably what I want isn't quite going to happen right away anyway. (I may have mentioned my dream of a farmhouse with a few goats in the yard...) (I know, I'm weird. Guess I need to pack up and move to Ukraine!) ;O)

Anyway, that's been the major bulk of what's been going through my brain lately. It has eaten my life, as a matter of fact. (Anything ever done that to you?) Thankfully, I did the girls' Easter dresses before any of this started up, so they were set for Easter. The Boys got their matching shirts again, too. And, they wound up with enough candy to last them about three weeks. Check that. Three days tops, I'm betting. ;O) I was telling my sister that the sugar buzz was pretty serious over here today. Thankfully everyone made it (alive and whole) into their beds tonight! ;O)

At dinner this afternoon (we went to John's sister's house), the kids and their cousin were talking, and their little 3yo cousin called someone "Zina." Aleksa piped up and asked for confirmation that that's what he'd said, and then she told him, "That's what my name was in Ukraine at the orphanage when nobody got me." (Mama promptly burst into tears...) I think it hit me so hard because our Aleksa NEVER EVER EVER volunteers talk about the orphanage. She hasn't ever talked about what she remembers, or if asked, she'll say she doesn't remember anything. She doesn't talk about it. Her brother and sister talk about it all the time, and while she doesn't leave the room or appear upset, she simply doesn't contribute anything. So, her saying that really hit me. She's cognitively at the point where she's beginning to puzzle together what has happened to her, whereas before, she let it fly over her head. Anyway, I'm sure I'll choke up about that for a good long time thinking about that...

After I pulled myself together a bit, I said, "Well, Leks, somebody's got you now!" I think "orphanage" comments are really starting to hit me harder now that our heart strings are tied as tight as they are. It absolutely kills me that Leksa had to sit in an orphanage so long with "nobody getting her." And my Adam and Liana! Nobody got them either! And there are so many others in the world waiting for mamas and papas. Maybe this job change will mean the possibility of Future Fishers too... So many little ones suffering out there wondering why nobody's got them yet...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Shelly! Happy Easter to you too! Congratulations on the new job and impending adventure. Nothing like kids to "help" pack... you may find things in odd places! Praying blessings for you in Minneapolis and a smooth transition for all. --Laurel in Tulsa

Anonymous said...

Shelly
Your blog made me cry today too! I was wondering if something was wrong - have you ever before not blogged in 2.5 weeks?! Anyways, I am so happy for you all. I hope this move will bring about more security, that farm with the goats (ok, how weird is that b/c since I was a girl I said I would love a small farm (non working) with goats as pets!)and some future Fishers!!!!!
I think your blog needs to be in every OB/GYN and fertility clinic's office so that it can inspire people with and without infertility problems to see there is another way to make the most wonderful family - the Fisher Way!
Glad you all had a great Easter and that you are back in the blogging world ;-)
Holly
p.s. Congratulations on the new job for John!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Holly, you have No Idea how many times I wanted to run over to this computer and blab to the free world what has been going on at our house in the last two weeks. But, I had to wait for John to tell his boss (-just never know who's reading this thing!), and I had to wait until John signed the contract with the Mpls company. (Which he hasn't yet, but will today). I've been singing the Beverly Hillbillies song nonstop for the last week; and also the Jefferson's theme song. (Did I just *totally* date myself with that one!?) ;O)

Anonymous said...

Congrats Shelly! That is wonderful news. And Leksa's comments totally made me cry, too. I always cry when I think about the things our kids have endured. And I think it does get harder the longer you have been a family. Tomorrow is our 3rd Family day and I still marvel at their survival skills and their ability to love despite all they have been through.

You should contact the Hendricksons as the live just outside of Minneapolis. We loved visiting with them last summer. Such a beautiful area. Congrats again and happy packing! =)

Penney
Mommy to Max (8) and Nicholaus (10)
http://www.mizellbrooks.homestead.com

Anonymous said...

Congrats George and Weezie!! Yes, you did totally date yourself- but you're still MUCH younger than me!!

So happy for all of you- what an adventure packing and moving are going to be-

Loved the Easter pic, everyone is too cute- including you, Shelly!!

Best of luck to John in his new job, I hope this brings you many, many more (and well deserved) blessings.

Okay, gotta go check how much closer to NJ you'll be with this move (don't I wish!)

xo Lisa S.

Anonymous said...

LOL about the George and Weezie thing, Lisa! My sister has been calling me Shelly Mae all week, and has contemplated naming her new dog "Jethro" to honor the occasion!

Anonymous said...

Shelly
Was just taking some much needed time online (thanks to a day off!) and found that your blog is listed on about's Top 10 adoption blogs

http://adoption.about.com/od/newsandreference/tp/adoptblogs.htm

(for some reason it is not showing up right now but after tp it should read
/adoptblogs.htm)
hope that makes sense?
p.s. yes in response to your comment it does age you! lol. Forgot to say how cute those dresses are, and I still can't get over how grown up the kids are!!!
Holly

Marnie said...

Wow! Congratulations on the new job, and I hope the move goes as smoothly as possible for everyone. Happy Easter to all!

Anonymous said...

SWEET! Now I'm rich AND famous! All in the same day even! Coo!

Thanks for the heads-up, Holly, that was definitely news to me!

Anonymous said...

The girls look gorgeous as usual and I love that green on Adam! Well I wish you luck in the move. I know it's hard but it's something I hope to venture into in a couple years myself! I welcome change. And I love the possibility of future Fishers to come, you two are wonderful people and wonderful parents.

I have to admit I came here hoping to see some photos of some Easter Eggs!!!! Any creative coloring going on there?

Ranee