Saturday, January 06, 2007

Dad News

Usually I like to keep this site for "kid news only." This time I have "dad" news. My dad, that is. He's 78, has lots of health problems, and is in the hospital right now for heart problems. It keeps stopping on him and he keeps passing out. He's having an electrophysiology study on Monday, and probably a pacemaker after that... Dad has hemophilia, hepatitis C (from the many, many transfusions in his life), and has had a history of heart problems (he had 5 bypasses and a replaced valve done several years ago).

I got to come down solo over the weekend to be with him at the hospital, (I even drove THROUGH the Cities by myself to do so!! Are you proud of me?), and am staying at my dad's house. It was so cool of my hubby to shoo me out the door and tell me he'll be fine alone all weekend with the kiddos.

Anyway, if you've a mind to do so, would you mind praying for my dad? And for the rest of the family? We only have one sibling "here in town" that can be hanging out at the hospital, and he has to work next week... Things will start cookin' at the hospital by then, and I need to come home tomorrow. Pray someone can rearrange their schedules to be able to come down to the hospital to be with him and know what is going on... *hates not knowing what is going on* *wink*

THANK YOU!

5 comments:

Missy said...

Shelly,
Of course I will pray for your dad! I had a scare with my dad this past May so I know what you are going through. God will be with your and your family!
Missy

Marnie said...

*sending over some Canadian prayers*

(Which count as extra with the exchange rate, you know)

I hope everything goes smoothly and your Dad is home soon.

Anonymous said...

Whew. Just got home. This morning dad off-handedly mentioned that the nurse had come in earlier to give him a shot of blood thinners. And that he had one yesterday too. Gulp. Dad has hemophilia... His blood IS thin! ;O) So, I mentioned that to his nurse and oops, nobody knew that.

So, no procedure tomorrow, but it isn't looking like it would have been needed anyway because over the weekend his pulse has quickened (it had been down in the 40's and 50's per minute). They had taken him off one of his meds wondering if that was the culprit, and it is looking like that was it. He hasn't had any more "spells" last night or this morning, so it is looking good...

They also said that even if it appears that it is his heart and not the meds, that they wouldn't touch him because of the blood thinners coursing through his veins. They'd wait a few weeks to do that.

So! Good news! My sisters are at the hospital with Dad, and my brother could be there for a short visit this afternoon. I drove home after lunch.

Thanks for the prayers, you guys! (And Marnie, especially your Canadian ones! LOL!)

Anonymous said...

Yay, my brother flew in today to stay with dad! I know it will mean a lot to both of them to hang out together for a while.

As for me, I'm shot. I could have slept the whole day through, but school is in session here, so that was Out. Methinks bedtime is coming in about an hour... ;O)

Calico Sky said...

I am sorry I am a bit late, but I pray for your family each and every day (so I am sure God included your Dad those days) and from now I will pray for your Dad each and every day too!
Please update and let us know he is ok.