Thursday, January 04, 2007

Merry Christmas!


Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and all that!

As has been my habit lately, I've been sorely neglecting this here blog. Who knows if anyone even cares anymore! lol! But, since this is also for the kiddos, I have to keep it up at least on important days.

Well, except for the monthly updates. I sat down to do the December update and honestly, I couldn't think of a thing that was "new" for any of the kids, and I have noticed that I'm sounding like a broken record. So, I think I'll just post whenever the mood strikes instead of on the month-a-versaries.

But Christmas! Oh, did we have a wonderful Christmas! I made waaaaaay too many baked goods. We'll have cookies and breads until next July, I'm sure. But it sure came in handy though to be able to take things out of the freezer when needed. Like the day we put the tree up I made a finger-food feast to leave out while we decorated. I had wondered how my Buddy Adam would deal with so much food just left out in the open to take at will, and he did Great! Until! Until I started to put it away. He had been just fine while the food was out. Didn't sneak any, didn't gorge himself, etc. But, once I got the plastic wrap out, he decided he was starving and needed the food. I thought that was interesting. We did that a few other times this Christmas season, but he seemed fine. Big strides for him.

I made it a point this year to only get the kids stuff that I was absolutely 100% sure that they would go ga-ga over. No wasteful trinkets that just take up room under the tree. So, the packages were fewer, but the joys were fuller, I think. Adam got a remote-control Monster Truck, and a Knight costume. Liana got a bride costume and a new bike. Leksa got a princess costume and a Castle Playhut. There were some other odds and ends - oh, a rock tumbler was also a major one, and a sign-language dvd, etc. But, I haven't needed to clean out any toy chests to make room for what they got this year. By the way, the picture I posted of the girls in their costumes was taken in the bathroom - I found them standing on their "stools" so they could see into the bathroom mirror! I thought it was hilarious!

We stayed home this year for Christmas Eve and Day, but the day before, we made a trip to my dad's house for a visit. We got him a giant mailbox... There has never lived anyone who loved "mail" more than my dad does. He was happy as a lark. It was so fun to see him so happy.

Then for New Year's weekend we went up to John's grandparents' house in northern MN. I know I've talked before at what a winter wonderland it is up there... but it really is. Beautiful snowy woods all around that cozy house, lots of laughing and talking and game-playing and children giggling, and oh boy, the FOOD. We ladies sat around playing the Blokus (great game!), and we played the Ungame with John's mom, grandma, sister and cousin. It was fun to tease the guys about joining us so they could "share their feelings" with us too. One of the questions was particularly interesting given the number of generations that were represented as we played. The question was "How have you been personally affected by a war?" Well, Grandma V.'s generation was affected by WWII. John's cousin was a Viet Nam baby - her mother is Vietnamese and father was a US soldier, so her answer was, "I wouldn't be alive if there hadn't been a war." Interesting! (I love social studies/history; have you picked that up by now?) Anyway, just some interesting tidbits.

Grandma gave John's sister a "lefse-making" tutorial while we were there. It was fun to sit and watch - and get to be a taste-tester instead of a back-breaker. :O) (We're a bunch of Norwegians here in the upper midwest!) (Lefse is a potato/flour/butter/etc. mixture that you roll out and bake on a hot griddle. Then you spread with butter or butter and sugar, or use for sandwiches if you're so inclined. We usually just stick with the butter/butter sugar combo in our families. Good stuff!

But! We're back to the grindstone, and surprisingly, we're falling into our routine rather smoothly. I had been dreading a fight from the kiddos this Tuesday once we were "back to school." Glad to be pleasantly surprised that the kids were eager to get started! Could be because of our reading contest that John and I are holding for the month of January. If they read X amount of books, they get to go to the Mall of America and ride the rollercoaster. Can you say "EXCITED?" They have been madly competing against each other and themselves all week. "Mama, Liana took her book with her into the bathroom! Tell her that's not fair!" *tee-hee* Such trials we have over here! Usually our evenings are spent doing "family things" - like playing games, tickle time with Papa, or a video. This week they've been off in their own corners with their books. Love it!

No meltdowns this year... just a fun, fun, fun holiday season. Much more fun than any other year, I think. We're just so much more jelled as a family. We know each other a lot better this year, and we're all a lot more relaxed "just being." We don't have to be on high alert for breaks in the routine, sugar (believe me, they had a ton of it this holiday season!), etc. They just did great, and we all had fun just enjoying each other. (I'll have to look back at last year's blog entry; I probably said the same thing last year, but I honestly mean it a lot more this year! The kiddos are much nicer kiddos this year! *wink*)

7 comments:

jason said...

Loved the update and pictures

Anonymous said...

Oh my are they ever getting big! And they're so attractive. Great to hear how your days are just regular Mom days. That's something to be proud of!

Calico Sky said...

Wow, your post made my day. I had missed your blog sooo much. BTW I still have books for them here, somehow didn't post them! Will do..

I would have a friend in your Dad, I LOVE mail, especially getting thank you cards, thankfully the Brits are big on them, all kids write them, so Jan is always filled with those. Actually that is one thing I really like about living here (after being homesick I am amazed to find it) they have kept the tradition of thank you cards, I even had a friend tell me that if her children couldn't show gratitude through a hand written card to friends, grandparents etc she wouldn't allow people to give presents. Wow, I hope my kids are that good!!!

Anonymous said...

Was beginning to wonder if your blog had locked you out again, and am glad to hear it wasn't updated because you were enjoying your wonderful family! Everyone looks beautiful and healthy as usual; thanks for sharing your great photos, and btw you never sound like a broken record to me! Happy New Year, Fishers! --Laurel in Tulsa

Marnie said...

Yes, it's always great to have an update on your family. Happy New Year to all of you, and may your days just keep getting better and better.

Missy said...

It is truly amazing how much your kids have grown in a little over 2 years. Adam is SOOOOOOOO tall! And the girls look so grown up. Um, I probably shouldn't remind you of that, huh?? I love "hearing" about your family! I agree that it never sounds like a broken record. Thanks for sharing yet again!
Missy

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. I too was getting worried that there was a technical problem that was keeping you from posting. Glad you had a nice holiday with your family. I will keep you dad in my prayers.