Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Odds and Ends

Anyone ever heard of GeoPuzzles? We got the kids one for Christmas, and it has quickly become one of their favorite times of our school day. One puzzle piece per country (or close to it). We have the Europe one, but I'll have to see how many others are out there.

We've also been using a Signing Time sign language video to learn some Sign Language... They're geared for little ones, but our crew loves the one we have, and there is no doubt we'll be buying some others soon. Anyone out there know of some sign language videos for kids a little older than preschool/kindergarten?

Finally took down our Christmas tree last night. What. A. Mess. Glad to be done with that project for another year.

5 comments:

Jodi said...

We LOVE Signing Time! My toddler uses two or three dozen signs on a regular basis thanks to this series. Which episodes of ST do you have? We have #1-6, and I've found that the later videos in the series seem to be geared more towards older kids. I think as Alex and Leah get older, the series is aging with them.

I have no experience with anything else, so I'm sorry I can't give other suggestions.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jodi! We just have the first one... but we'll be getting more soon! Thanks for the encouragement regarding the age progression thing... The kids are just loving it, but they will soon "outgrow it" if you know what I mean.

Calico Sky said...

I have heard of geopuzzles but have no clue what they look like. Can you post some pics?
Sign language, neat!!! I plan on getting around to taking a class at some point...

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to add another voice that signing time seems to "grow" with Alex & Leah. I have only seen the first 6, but look forward to getting 7-12. They are WONDERFUL. I have used them with kids learning English in a classroom, kids with special needs and even a Jr. High ASL class that I helped teach! If you are interested in the ASL aspect, make sure to watch the special features when they tell you a little more about Deaf culture and ASL!
~teacherpippi from SL

Anonymous said...

As an expert on the subject ;-) Yes the Signing Time dvd's build on one another. So the first one is very basic but each show adds a new level of information.

And - Yes we made the first DVD 6 years ago - Leah was 4 and Alex was not yet 3. It took us a year to make that first one. Then we made volumes 2 & 3. Then we did 4, 5 and 6. And last year we produced 7-13.

Leah is now 10 and Alex is 8! Time flies!