Sunday, January 06, 2008

That Mothering Instinct

It was one of those lay-around-the-house-all-day kind of Sundays... Lots of sickness over here, so we stayed home and layed low. John has walking pneumonia, and I still have a cold or flu, or whatever it is, that has hung on strong since last Monday.

This afternoon Liana was sitting on my lap, Aleksa was right next to me and we were just hanging out together on the couch talking. Liana suddenly said, "Mama, I'm not going to burp."

And I realized that I had been pounding her back like I do to Abrielle.

I blinked a few times and started to chuckle. Hadn't realized I was "burping" her at all! I suppose by 9 years old, she probably can manage that on her own. But in case she ever needs any help, I guess she knows where to come!

Speaking of ingrained mothering, I've noticed since Abrielle has been born that my mother-bear inclinations toward the other three have cranked up to new levels. Probably hormones, I suppose, but I do think it is interesting that suddenly I'm ready to do battle with anyone who remotely speaks unkindly/unfairly/unwhateverly to my kids. Once last week John told one of the kids at the table not to put too much salt on their food, and I was about ready to take HIM outside. (Well, I should add that I didn't say anything, but I know I shot him a Look!) Over salt?!? Before Abrielle was born it probably would have been ME telling Adam not to put too much salt on his potatoes!

It's hormones. It's gotta be.

This is rough though, because John and I are ALWAYS on the same page where the kids are concerned. That has been a huge blessing because where most couples spend a good chunk of time getting on the same wavelength with their parenting philosophies, etc., John and I just "know" what eachother thinks about things and think the same thing ourselves. Like the other day I realized that never once did we even THINK about discussing whether or not I would nurse Abrielle. It was just a given that I would. Like a complete "no duh" given.

Anyway, I just think it is interesting that there is such a new dimension to this parenting stuff. That mothering instinct is serious business.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just had to chuckle over you trying to burp Liana without realizing it. Very cute!

It is interesting that your mama bear instincts are stronger. It is amazing how strong they can be at moments. Had to work hard at quieting mine a few times or more.

So sorry that you are still not feeling well, too. We are not well over here either. Christmas bugs must have made their way around. Get better quickly.

Love you lots,
Mom

Anonymous said...

What a lovely post Shelly. You really are a wonderful mom, all your readers I am sure see the wonderful mother instinct in you.

That gave me a chuckle about burping Liana! lol

Happy New Year
Kate