Thursday, February 03, 2011

Warning!

I've been doing a lot of thinking about the whole "big family" thing. With the addition of each extra child, my own job has obviously become more complicated, and whereas I might have been able to "slip by" without doing certain things in the early years of just having the three home, by now, that is waaaaaaaaay noticeable, and unacceptable. I might have been able to run the dishwasher every other day, for example "back then." These days, if we don't run the dishwasher, there will be no dishes for the next day. Kind of important, folks!

In other words, as the family has expanded, I've really had to learn self-control, discipline, diligence, and perseverance. No more getting by without a meal plan or a shopping list, 'cause if I try it, we waste hundreds of dollars per month. (John loves that. Not.) It can get scary without some semblance of order around here. Of course all this "extra work" means that either Mom is lazy and her house is falling down around her, or she's exhausted from doing it all herself, or, Mom is a smart lady who has trained in her family to be helpers.

Sure there are things we "can't" do with a family our size, but the trade off of what we (*I*) are/am learning is invaluable, and I hope the children all leave our home with some really solid character traits engrained in them...and in me too. I have to remind myself each day to persevere. But I sure wouldn't trade my job for the world... truly, I've never been happier.

In that regard, though, I thought I'd give you all a heads up on a different direction I plan on going with this blog in the weeks/months ahead. I'd like to start using "this place" to keep myself accountable and organized. You might see a weekly menu here, or a to-do list that needs to happen by a certain time; or a list of things that we have accomplished for the day. Or a list of who is doing what jobs for the week. Maybe it will give you ideas for your own home, or, maybe it will make you rethink stopping by and reading here, but I thought it only fair to let you know. I still plan on talking about my kiddos (carefully, mind you - they're getting older and more mortified at Mama's rambling on about them... but my little ones, I think, have a few more years before they'll really care.) ;o) Regardless... consider yourselves warned! :o)

1 comment:

TylerandBrianne said...

I would love to see how you run the house without wasting money. We waste money on food and I am lost on how to fix it. We went from a family of 4 to 6 in one day so money is tight.