Monday, August 07, 2006

Our New Eight Year Old!

Liana's birthday was yesterday. We have an 8 year old now!

Which is happy for her, but sad for me. I hate my kids' birthdays. Isn't that selfish and horrible-sounding?! I don't like them turning a year older! I want time to stop. On Saturday night as the kids were settling down before bedtime, I actually started crying right there in front of everybody.

Liana loved it.

She felt like an adult or something since the reason I gave her for crying was that she was growing up. She assured me that she'd bring me her children to play with and rock, and that she'd always love me and take care of me when I'm old. Oy. Somehow that really scares me to think that she'd be the one to take care of me in my old age... she'd feed me half of my soup and then get distracted by something more fun and I'd waste away to nothing! lol! She doesn't sit still very long in other words! She's come a long way, and *can* sit still if she *wants* to, but it has to be for a *very* good reason!

Speaking of sitting. Here's another Liana story. (Liana, if you are an adult reading this, I HOPE YOU'VE OUTGROWN THIS BY NOW...) There was a fellowship dinner after church yesterday, and Liana and I were sitting across from each other and who was sitting next to me but Sean. The Sean. I made a few comments about my chair and Sean offered to switch his chair with mine. Sweet of him, but I declined the offer. Liana told me, (casting a batted eye toward Sean), "I'll switch spots with you, Mom! I'd love to sit next to Sean!

You shoulda seen how fast Sean finished his meal and got outta there.

Later I let Liana hand out her treat bags for her friends. I had written everyone's name on them, and I happened to catch Liana rummaging through her sack of treat bags trying to keep up with Sean saying, "Sean, I have one for you too! I'm not chasing you, Sean, I really do have treats for you! Come back here!"

BWAAAAH! LOL!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

M-noy Hyaleeta Liannichka!!

xxxooo- Lisa S.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Grandma and Dyakuyu Lisa!

Speaking of speaking in Ukrainian (actually Russian, I think this time), the other day I was telling the kids to go get something that was "tom" ("over there"). They stopped everything and said, "Who's Tom?" John and I looked at each other and said, "Yep, they're American kids now!" Which is both happy and very, very sad.