Monday, October 08, 2007

Shower!



It has been such a busy weekend! Fun, stressful, more fun, less stress....

My big sis threw me (and John!) a baby shower on Saturday! Husbands were invited, so I got to see my brothers AND sisters at this one. And three aunts and two cousins. It was really, really, really nice. Got a ton of loot, and had a great time. It was truly a day I'll never forget. John's mom and sister had a shower for me a few weeks ago which was really nice too. Little Fish sure has a lot of people out there who are excited for his/her arrival!

The stressful part came in as we all watched my dad barely be able to breathe... He had just gotten out of the hospital on Wednesday after a three-day stay for a scare with bleeding from his intestines, and had developed pneumonia. He didn't want to go back in to the hospital, though, until after my shower. So. The poor man slept in a chair most of the afternoon. After the shower, John and I hauled him to emergency where they took one look at him and admitted him. John and I finally left the hospital after 11:00pm!

The good news is, that with the antibiotics and iv fluids they pumped into him, he was looking much more like himself by the next morning. He still stayed Sunday night though... I hope they keep him until he is good and well!

The Fishers also had some gifts from folks at our old church... John and I were at the hospital with Dad Sunday morning, so we didn't get them ourselves. John's mom also gave us a rocking chair that had been theirs from when she was pregnant with John. Very nice. She also gave me ice cream cake. Well, kinda. John's sister's birthday was Thursday, so we went to the Olive Garden for dinner and afterwards, we had ice cream cake. I only had a tiny sliver, and my blood behaved itself afterwards, but I did take a brisk walk after dinner and before cake time just in case! ;O)
But anyhow! We got home with all our loot, and there was a package on our doorstep from TULSA with yet another baby gift for us! (Laurel! How adorable! Thank you!!!)
After the kids went to bed, I spread alllll the loot allllll over the livingroom. Had to sort it you know. *wink* It is still quite a disaster in here, but it's a blissful one! :O)

Speaking of disasters! lol! After leaving the shower on Saturday, we were asking the kids how they enjoyed the day, etc., and Liana told us that she was talking to one of the twins (you remember my twin nieces I've mentioned?) Liana told us that Annie or Katie had told her that after the baby is born, that she was going to come and visit us. Liana told her, "Oh, ok. I'll try to make sure the house is clean."
She keeps me humble, doesn't she? lol!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shelly's shower was more fun than anything I ever thought it would be. There were 31 people in my little house! (Counting Baby Fish.) That is A LOT to come to our little tiny town in the middle of nowhere in Wisconsin. People came from northern Wisconsin, central Minnesota, eastern and western Wisconsin, and ALL OVER!! We had cars parked all over the place. (I live in a village of 748 people, that includes the people not "in town"! This was HUGE, and likely the curiosity of the county!) I was so worried that we lived too far in the middle of no-man's-land for anyone to come, but 99.9% of the people we invited came! How about that???

The pictures Shelly posted don't do justice. I suppose the "good" ones couldn't be here because they showed mostly a certain color that would be a give-away for baby's gender. I hope Little Fish doesn't decide to be the opposite sex, because that could be a DISASTER. (Shelly, after baby is born, post the pic of the gifts!!)

Dad is on the mend, I was at the hospital yesterday with him. He is weak, but MUCH better. What a relief. Let's just say he did NOT look good on Saturday.

I am so happy for Shelly and John. Not to mention Adam, Liana and Leks. They all are going to have quite an adventure raising Little Fish. I can't wait to meet the little one!!!

What a HUGE BLESSING for our whole family!!

We all love you, Punkie! Sharon

Shelly said...

Thank you, Sharon, that was a nice comment to leave...

And yes, I really had to scrutinize which pics I posted... I figured the table looked pretty gender-neutral so I thought it was pretty safe! *whew* lol!

Anonymous said...

So people KNOW!? Now it's really unfair to the rest of us. Yes, they're your family, but what about all the Ukie cousins your kids have!? Ukie Aunt Catherine is really tempted to drive over and ooggle through the window to see the color of the gifts! Seriously, Shelly, you look wonderful! Keep us posted.
Cath Hendrickson

Anonymous said...

Doesn't she look great!!!
We are so happy for them. (all six of them!) Our shower was great also, we had over 20 people attending with 8 being cousins, aunts, and one great grandma of Little Fish all from Iowa or northern Minnesota. I was so thrilled with all of the things they received. The photos would be much to reavealing of which gender would be arriving. I agree with you, Sharon, it would be disaster for Little Fish to come out the opposite gender. Oops, almost said something that would give it away. Whew!

I am so glad that your dad is on the mend again. I felt so much better for all of you after your report of how he was doing Sunday morning, Shelly. So glad.

It was good to see all of you, and have some special time with Adam, Liana, and Aleksa. I will never forget how the girls cuddled up to each other to go to sleep. Brings tears to my eyes even now. Such love they have for each other, and such care. So, dear. We love them so much and can hardly wait to hold Little Fish. Not much longer to wait, though Shelly may think so.

Love,
Mom

vodkamartini said...

Shelly!

You look beautiful! I'm so happy you had such wonderful showers and Little Fish has gotten so much loot- can't wait to see more pictures.

I'm also very, very glad to hear your Dad is on the mend!

xo
Lisa

Missy said...

Shelly,
Thanks so much for giving us that side view! I am goofy in the fact that I LOVE pregnant bellies. I guess I just love the fact that the little one is getting bigger and I just love babies. And I agree...this waiting stuff is killing me too! I can't wait to know if we (lol) have a little girl fish or boy fish. (Does anyone else want to read Dr. Seuss right now??) So glad you had a nice shower!