Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Stressful Springtime

This has got to be the most stressful spring we've had in years! We're aiming to move on Saturday, and we were supposed to close on the house on Tuesday, and uh, whoops, our underwriter isn't done with our file, and so we aren't closing probably until Thursday. That's ok, because my house isn't all packed up yet. I'm expecting the Moving Fairy to come and wave her magic wand over my house Friday night I guess.

My dad had this spleen reduction procedure done last week. Another big stressor. The first few days were ok - he was really doing well. The next day he was not doing well at all. He is really weak. The procedure was a success, but my dad has been zapped of strength. And he's being released today. He can't hold a fork to his mouth and it takes two people to get him to the bathroom. He has to go into a nursing home for a few weeks to gain his strength. He'll head on over there today. I'm hoping this gives the docs a heads up that there is no way Dad will have the strength to recover from a heart surgery... I hope they just leave him alone.

And here I sit glued to my phone hoping to hear from the banker dude to see if we can close today or not. Trying to pretend I'm packing up my house in between phone checks. Meanwhile my dad has taken over my thoughts, and my four kids still get hungry and need clean clothes. And attention. I'm trying to ignore the sticky kitchen floor. Hoping the Moving Fairy takes care of that for me as well. She can come earlier than Friday for that though, because sticky floors bother me.

Looking forward to getting in to my house. Did a final walk-through on Monday night. It had been a while since I'd seen it and bathroom walls changed color, and the tile in the tub disappeared, the kitchen got bigger and the wallpaper in it changed colors, the family room shrunk, as did the girls' rooms, which also changed color and Adam's room grew. I guess I remembered wrong. The yard got shadier (worried about my garden getting enough sun!) now that the trees have leafed out, and the perennial gardens got lots weedier. I'll be busy, busy! Met a few neighbors while we were there. They seemed really nice. There seem to be a lot of kids on this block, so I'm praying our kids will have some nice neighbor friends.

Anyway, that's all folks... I'm sorry I've disappeared. Very, very stressed out over here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just got home from being with our dad. I helped settle him into the nursing home, and he seems content. Today he is so much better than yesterday. If he keeps improving this much every day, he will be out of there and back home sooner than anyone suspects. He even walked to the bathroom with only stand-by assistance. That is really major, considering that yesterday he couldn't even lift a fork to feed himself. Today, not only did he feed himself, but he picked up the ice water pitcher and poured himself some water. Then, he put a straw in it and drank it!! I guess the little things mean a lot, but he really is improving steadily. Prayers work!!

Chin up, Shelly. Things will be "normal" so soon, you will forget the nasties of the spring and only remember the miracles and the WONDERFUL things that have been happening. I promise! Love you, Sharon

Ruth said...

Your dad has been through so much! I will pray for him to regain his strength and be in as little pain as possible. Hope the closing and move go as smoothly as possible. Moving is definitely a very stressful and tiring event!!

Unknown said...

Wish I was close enough to pop over and help! Of course, maybe adding my 5 to your 4 wouldn't be a help afterall. :-) Still crossing my fingers hoping for a visit (but totally understand if not).

Tami said...

Isn't it amazing how stressful life can become in the blink of an eye. I have a feeling ours is about to get A LOT more stressful. And it's all of our own doing. UGH! Hang in there.
I also find it amazing just how much a house can change between the first look and the final move in. I have a tendency to idealize the homes I look at...forgetting all of the little flaws. That's why I need Shad so badly. He's my daily dose of realism! :)

Anonymous said...

Thankfully we have an awesome God Who is in control of all things. I pray that you can really feel Him holding you and helping you through all of the stress. I sure wish I could be there and help you. You will soon be settling in and wonder how God got you through it all. We still continue to pray for you and your dad and family. Sooo glad that he is regaining some of his strength back.
Love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Shelly,

Hope everything falls into place for you all. We will be praying for your dad, hoping to regain some strength.

Enjoy your new home, can't wait to see pictures...

Your cuz,
Barb L.