Sunday, July 06, 2008

Happy Fourth

We took a trip up north this weekend. We were going to hit two "parties" but got too late of a start Friday morning so it wound up only being one... (So sorry, Uncle Wally, we really did want to come this year!) Always so nice to "get away" by going up north. Those north woods and Grandma's kitchen are always a balm to the soul. Or somethin. ;o)

Speaking of Grandma's kitchen, I got to play Tom Sawyer! I noticed that Grandma's wallpaper in the kitchen was still not hung (it has been half-torn-down since Christmas), and so I asked Grandma if someone was going to put it up. She didn't know who or when or if it would ever get put up, so I said, "Hey, Cara, (John's sister) you wanna put up Grandma's wallpaper?" And she said, "Sure!" And then I stood back while she and a bunch of cousins finished ripping down the rest of the wallpaper, and then I said, "I wonder how we'll get the wallpaper up around those hinges on the cupboards," and suddenly the guys were taking down cupboard doors and John's mom was scrubbing them down. And then the next day when we started I said, "Ya know, I'm really short. You should get those high places, Cara." And so, she got those. And then the baby kept getting hungry. And fussy. And tired. And so I had to get called away several times. Or, I got to sit back and say, "Wow, am I getting tired, John, you should go get us a Caribou Coffee," and he did. And then I got a big "attagirl" for the wallpaper getting put up yesterday. Aren't I nice? :o)

It was nice to get away though, and sort of leave the trauma of the last few weeks behind. Unfortunately, we're back to Kansas though, and we get to start up "normal" again tomorrow. Or try to.

2 comments:

Tami said...

Boy! You sure worked hard yesterday Tom! ;>)

Anonymous said...

Now let me tell you, Shelly actually did a lot more than she is letting on. Sure there were some times she had to step out and care for the Littlest Princess, but she put in some long and hard work too. She can't give away all that credit. It was so much fun to see it all come together and such a nice job they did. Grandma is very happy with her kitchen. She expressed it many times. I want to personally thank you for being the instigator for getting it done.

Hats off to you, my dear Shelly!
Love you,
Mom