Friday, November 25, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving!

What a wonderful holiday so far! I consider the holiday started on Wednesday, when I hauled out the baking/cooking ingredients. I LOVE Thanksgiving! I love to cook and bake, and I love the little hands around my table who love to pitch in and help out. So far, we've had a rather untraditional Thanksgiving dinner - We had borscht and verenyky at my Dad's house along with three different kinds of pie and a pumpkin log (to-die-for-yummy). Dad doesn't like turkey, so if I couldn't make a turkey dinner, then we were gonna give him a Cultural Experience. Dad sweated out whether he would like the soup or not, but he ate it, and said it was good, (but that doesn't necessarily mean he really liked it! lol!) Anyway, all of US enjoyed it very much! LOL!

I have to back up to Wednesday again. My back has been bothering me for a bit, and rolling out pie-crust and doing other cooky-baky things sends me into back-pain 911 sometimes. So, during one of my breaks, I was laying on my tummy on the couch and Aleksa was trying to massage me. Well, while she was doing so, I heard a couple "angry-voices" in one of the bedrooms, and then Liana started to cry. So, I called them into the livingroom to find out what happened, and Aleksa started saying, "BLOOD! BLOOD!" Liana put her hand to her head, and then started SCREAMING. (She had stopped when she heard me ask them to come to the livingroom to tell me what was going on.) Apparently, Adam had thrown a shoe at her. Nice. *sigh*

Just then! The timer on the oven went off telling me my apple pie was done. So, being the good mom I am, I sent Liana to the bathroom so she didn't drip on the carpet, and then I tended to the pie first. (No flames please!) ;o) I then heard Aleksa announce to Liana, "Liana, Mama already told us we were NOT going to the hospital today, good job!" (Earlier the children were being rowdy, and I calmly told them they needed to play nice because "We are not going to the hopsital today under any circumstances." ) I had to laugh.

Anyway, I ran down to the bathroom to tend to the Victim, and meanwhile Adam started to really freak out. He absolutely HATES it when his sisters are hurt. Can't stand blood, and can't stand them crying. He gets really, really freaked. Usually, he declares ME at fault for whatever blood-situation there is, but this time he knew it was his hand that threw the shoe... So, he was pretty miserable. I washed Liana off, and basically, it was just a little cut, but it bled a lot. After I explained to Liana that heads bleed lots even if it is just cut a tiny bit, she instantly stopped crying. I layed her down on the couch with Adam's lap as a pillow, and tried to make Adam feel better about the whole thing. Leksa and I tried to give him hugs, etc. Liana even reassured him that "Heads just bleed a lot, Adam, that's all!" He still kept saying things like, "She's going to die!" and crying lots.

So, I did what any Good Mother would do, and I declared Liana "Healed!" and then ordered all the kids to pick up their tent-mess. (The kitchen chairs had been moved to the livingroom during my baking frenzy, and that means "Tent Time!" for the Fisher kids. Poor Liana had to hold a rag on her head, and then try to bend over and pick up toys and blankets. Adam almost instantly shut off the tears. I guess he thought that she probably wasn't going to die if I was putting her to work! lol! (SORRY LIANA! tee-hee)

This week we have been given a TON of venison. I'm soooo thankful for the meat. For those of you out there hoping to adopt little girls, you really need to watch how much beef you feed them (among other things); there are lots of little girls coming home and then starting puberty wayyyyy too early because of the extra hormones in meat, dairy, etc. Liana's body symptoms have reversed, except that she has facial hair on her upper lip. I haven't mentioned that on here before, because I haven't wanted people to NOT come home with little girls for fear of this happening to them. It is more common than you'd think though, so do your homework on this subject. I know quite a few families whose girls have had this happen to them.

Anyway, about the venison. I was surprised that my kids weren't completely Grossed Out seeing a deer hanging from Grandpa's tree, or by us cutting it up. They just matter-of-factly asked to help grind or package. Liana has become a pro at the vacuum-sealer-thingie. She's become an old pro at lots of things. She can now make oatmeal from start to finish for the whole family. She's gonna be dangerous in a few more years! She's really Miss Susie Homemaker in a lot of areas. And she's only SEVEN! Wow!

Today we're headed up north to visit the Fisher side of the family. We'll only be ther through Saturday, so just a short trip. I plan to sleep, sleep, sleep in the car (or try to!); Thanksgiving has worn me OUT!

Hope you all are having a great holiday weekend too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds MaRvElOuS Shelly! Enjoy your weekend and thanks for the chuckles!

Laurel in Tulsa

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving Adam, Liana, and Aleksa, Mom and Dad! Enjoy!!! Jo from the ttc adoption board