Thursday, November 03, 2005

Misc. update

I've been slacking off bigtime on this thing. It's a constant nag in the back of my head, "Shelly, you've been slacking on your blog. Sit down a minute and write!"

*sigh*

So, here I am! School has been a huge energy-sucker, but I'm loving every minute of it. Our curriculum is literature-based, so we are cuddled on the couch for a big chunk of the day pouring over really cool books, and getting hooked on some great stories. One of the most recent read-alouds (chapter books) has been "Mr. Popper's Penguins" which we finished up last week. It's about a man who acquires some penguins as pets, and it is basically a silly little story that apparently kids L-O-V-E. We went to the Madison zoo a few weekends ago, and you should have heard the squeals as they got to see the penguins! They were hopping and shouting, and laughing, and could hardly stand still for me to take their picture.

Liana lost her second upper front tooth today. I yanked it out at Grandpa Peaslee's house today. It wasn't ready, but she kept asking me to work on it, and finally, it came out. I've been teasing her that I wanted to pull it out so I could make soup. Won't she freak when she finds out that I actually DO have soup on the menu for tomorrow! *tee-hee* Dad told me that we should have had that on video because he'd never seen such a brave girl... I was really pulling hard, and she really hardly blinked!

Adam has made some big progress lately in his attachment to us lately. Just today he hurt his finger (he actually stapled it as he was trying to fix the stapler...), and I made a big deal out of it, and he let himself really cry, and he let me really cuddle him and rock him like he was a little boy. (This guy is now nearly 80 lbs., so this was no small task for me!) He's been my shadow all the rest of the day. I wish I had a switch that I could pull to make all his heart hurts go away... He's so hard for me to reach sometimes. He is an awesome kid, but he just can't let himself fully love and be loved. He often will search for my hot-buttons, and not only will he push them, he jumps, hops, and stomps all over those buttons just to see what will happen. He doesn't do that with John though. Just me. And almost always when John isn't home. Usually it comes in the form of him pretending he doesn't know something. For example, I'll say, "Adam, show me the last letter in this word." He'll point to the first, second, middle, second-to-last, a letter in a completely different word, etc., but he will flatly refuse to acknowledge that the last letter of the word is "e." (or whatever.) Then, he'll go on about how he's never heard the word "last" so he doesn't understand. *sigh* He's getting much better, but I can see also that we have a way to go in the area of trust. Our Adam went through a lot before we took him home. It is foolish to think that a new address is going to fix all his hurts. Time, consistancy, love, patience, etc., etc., have taken him a long way, but it is going to take a lot more of the above for him to let go.

Leksa is still my hair-in-her-food-findin' little sweetie.

I joined the FlyLady's group today. Looking forward to learning a TON. I've been really learning a lot lately on my own about meal-planning/budgeting, and it feels good. I've been planning our meals out a month at a time, and shopping monthly for groceries. (We still have to pick up bananas, milk, etc. during the month, but you know what I mean). We've saved a ton of money by shopping once a month instead of more frequently, and I'm loving that I know exactly what meals are in my freezer/cupboards without having that 4:00pm panic of not having a clue what's for dinner. Hate that feeling. Anyway, it's taken a long time, but I'm turning over all kinds of leaves. I am seeing more and more that families with either a gazillion kids, or families who are broke, really have to be organized. They don't have the luxury of slacking off and ordering pizza every other night. Know what I mean? I've been reading a blog of a lady who has a big family. I met her on one of my homeschool db's, and boy have I learned a lot about planning. Planning for menus, planning schedules, prioritizing everything, planning jobs/cleaning/etc. You just gotta be together to pull off that lifestyle! I don't necessarily agree with everything she says (just as y'all don't agree with everything coming out of my brain!), but it has been interesting and thought-provoking. (And very convicting... I'm such a lazy, wasteful bum sometimes!)

Anyway, that's what's been floating around my head lately.

Oh! One of the ladies who has been faithfully following the Fishers since our trip is finally in Ukraine! I'm so excited for them!!!!! Here's the link to their blog! http://www.becomingafamily.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing urls of others on their adoption journeys. I enjoyed following the ones you shared this summer (little Andrew is so cute!). We're still thinking of starting the process to adopt 2 siblings from Ukraine next summer (presuming our domestic adoption of a newborn takes place by then). I had to laugh over the title of this one you just shared "the sixth trimester". Boy can I relate to that with the domestic adoption process!

I also wanted to say that I think its great that you are using a literature based curriculum (and I was formerly a teacher and then a principal and now am a professor of elementary education). I love children's books and have quite a collection growing here at our house that I hope I will be reading to our kids in the future (until then at least they get used by nieces and nephews).

Anyhow from my former teaching days I thought I'd list a few titles that your kiddos might enjoy at some point (and maybe you've already read some of them to them!). Oh and it's totally understandable you don't have much time to blog!!! We just enjoy reading it whenever you do squeeze out a few minutes to do so. ;-)

Ruth from the ttc adoption db

Cricket in Times Square by George Selden
From the Mixed up Files of Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konisgburg
Summer of the Monkeys by Wilson Rawls
Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth George Speare
Chocolate Fever by Robert Smith
Miracles on Maple Hill by Virginia Sorenson
The Courage of Sarah Noble by Alice Dalgliesh
The 21 Balloons by William DuBois
Rabbit Hill by Robert Lawson

Anonymous said...

Oh, Ruth, thank you so much for all the titles! I recognize a few of them that are included in our curriculum for future years, so I'm happy to hear a good reports about them (The Cricket in Times Square, for example).

I'm jotting down your list to take with us to the library. We're always scrounging around looking for great books! I'll be sure to mention when we've read them and let you know how we enjoyed them!
THANK YOU!

By the way, I hope that things are progressing for you with your adoption plans. The last I heard you were still waiting for a match. I really enjoyed reading your website and getting to know you better that way. It also is nice to have a face to go with your name! You are one of those ladies that I can't wait to see getting on with their "happily ever after." The wait is soooooo hard...