Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Fisher Family Feast

Been meaning to post since Saturday night...

We had a wonderful weekend! On Saturday, John's extended Fisher Clan all came to our house for a belated Thanksgiving/Christmas get-together. No gifts and such; just dinner and good company. Like 35'ish of us. That's one way to get me to dust, let me just say! ;O) (I didn't get it all done though, ssshhhhh!)

The highlight of the day was that four of us cousins had babies this fall. We were each due in September, October, November and December. It wound up that the December baby was a tale end of November baby, but you get the idea. ;O) What a photo op it was to prop all these little ones on the couch next to each other! Two were sleeping (soundly) on each other, Abrielle and the last little man were looking around ready to cry. Adorable.

Adam and Aleksa thoroughly enjoyed hanging out with their little cousins, and making the rounds. Adam scarfed down I-don't-know-how-much pickled herring. *shudder*

The best part of the day for Liana was getting to talk to our cousin Courtney, who knows ASL (she's an interpreter, actually). Liana got to show off some of what she knows from our Signing Time dvd's, and got to ask questions, and learn some more. She was in 7th Heaven. Courtney was also the mom to one of the new Little Fish and she let Liana lug her little guy around for a while, and even showed her how to change little boy diapers (!). At bedtime that night, Liana was all sighs saying, "Oh, Mama, she was so pretty, and so nice, and oh, Mama, she's like a princess she's so nice, etc., etc." It was cute. :O) (So, Courtney, if you're out there, thank you so much for being so nice to Liana - she'll never forget it, and is still talking about you days later!)

John and I agreed after everyone left that it was an awesome feeling that neither of us had to worry about our kids all day. We just knew they were going to be ok. Maybe not angels, but we knew we weren't going to have any meltdowns, fits, screaming, hitting, etc., etc. It was just a no-brainer that they were going to be good. Great feeling to not have to be on high-alert that someone was going to need high-maintenance parenting all day.

I've been getting the itch to do some quilting... I have put my unfinished quilts "on display" in my livingroom as incentive to Get At It and finish them up. They have been calling my name lately, but between school, an infant, the laundry, supper, etc., it hasn't happened. Today I pulled out some fabric pieces that I'll need to work on one of them. (It is a crazy quilt). Maybe if I have everything "ready to go" it will be easier to sneak in a few minutes here or there to play.

The rest of the family is Out tonight making a quick library run since we were busy Saturday. It's weird having the house to myself; I can actually hear a clock ticking. Didn't know it made any noise! -Maybe I'll get to do a little quilting tonight afterall! ;O)

2 comments:

Tami said...

Sounds like a great day! What a joy to not to have to worry about the meltdowns anymore. I had finally reached that point with our three...now I get to start over. Somehow I don't really mind! :)

Missy said...

Such progress your kiddos have made! I've been wanting to do some quilting too...only problem is that I've never done it so I'm not sure exactly where to start. It will be a crazy quilt sort of thing because I don't want to spend a ton of money on matchy matchy material only to mess it up. Oops..did I say that?