Friday, February 15, 2008

Valentine Villa


(Click on the pictures for close-ups)



Well, the night was a grand success, and even though I was totally in on all the planning and such, no matter how many times we rehearsed, it was a totally new deal once John walked through the door. Aleksa was to play hostess, and we'd practiced and practiced what she was supposed to say, and all that. John walked through the door and all she could do was plaster an enormous smile on her face and the BLANKEST stare in her eyes... It was like, "I'm-so-happy-and-excited-that-I-have-completely-forgotten-everything-including-my-name-so-don't-ask-but-I'm-having-so-much-fun-just-standing-here..."



So, I had to coach her a little, *wink* and then she was so excited she started hopping (not realizing she was, I don't think). She also kept gravitating over in front of us and not saying anything, just smiling and being excited. Liana, the waitress, (actually, she used her birth name "Valentina" last night as her "waitress name" - much more in keeping with the holiday), had to drag her away from us a few times. We asked her how she thought we could sneak kisses if she was going to hover... ;O)



Actually, all three were total hoverers, it was just that Aleksa was also the hopper ;O). I directed them toward their folders full of printed out puzzles, games and jokes to keep themselves occupied, but they were so excited, their attention span for those was pretty short. Liana, who had practiced all week on coffee-making, forgot to plug in the coffeemaker, so it took a LONG time. But when it did arrive, it was wonderful, and Liana's accompanying poem was adorable. "I love coffee. I love tea. I love you. Do you love me?" You have to notice what she's wearing - a curtain as a shawl, and while it might be hard to see, she has a hoop under her skirt, so she was Quite the lady last evening. :O)



I have to include a picture of our littlest Valentine, who slept through the whole party.



After Waitress Valentina delivered the "check" and mints, John stuffed three one dollar bills into the leather folder. Aleksa happened to notice them first, and you should have heard the screams from all three at once when they realized they'd been tipped! They hadn't thought that far ahead and weren't expecting it. It was the icing on the cake to see them so excited.

John was pretty impressed by all our hard work and preparations, we were all in stitches all night. A good time was had by all! :O)



By the way, I'll add the recipe for the "salsa chicken" just in case you want an easy recipe for your kid to cook YOU supper one night... Really easy and delicious. All you do is sprinkle some frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts with about a 1/2 packet of taco seasoning, then cover them in a 9x13 pan with about a cup and a half of salsa. Bake for an hour at 375, then the last three minutes of baking, add some sprinkled cheese on top to melt. Serve with sour cream and over rice. Easy, but it's one of John's favorite meals.

9 comments:

Tami said...

What fun!! Sounds like you all had a great time! Happy Valentine's Day!

Anonymous said...

You are SOOOO creative! All your children looked just wonderful - and Liana is growing into such a striking young lady - hoop skirt, curtain, and all.
Cath

Tamera said...

that is such a cool idea!! You are very creative. I love doing things like that on a budget...just prooves it can be done.

Anonymous said...

Aren't they beautiful!!!
I love Liana's hoop skirt. She told me you found her one, so I am very glad to know that she was able to wear it for such a wonderful occassion. And how could you not tip those wonderful workers! Glad to hear that Abrielle helped with her part by sleeping and giving you the time to enjoy such a special evening.
Love to you all
Mom

Anonymous said...

It was a grand show! I walked in and was "assaulted" by people trying to get me to eat the fancy supper. But they were so excited, I didn't even know there was a dinner table set up 3 feet from me!

The whole production had me smiling all the way through. (Even while chewing!)

Adam made a great chef, though he tried to do the job of both the waitress and the manager as well.

Liana was an excellent waitress, but she tried to approve everything with her mother (who was the customer).

Aleksa, both distracted and distracting, was the most memorable of the evening. Her I'm-so-excited-I'll-just-stare-and-hop look was quite unforgettable.

Shelly did an awesome job getting this whole thing put together so well! Love you, Sweetest!

Anonymous said...

Shelly! I had totally lost track of you guys! when I saw 'bonus baby...' on one of the reunion posts I was scrambling to find your blog again. lol She is ~*~precious~*~! oh my your 3 oldest look so grown up and so handsome/beautiful! it is so nice to read about/see your family again. :)

God Bless,
Elaine
Delaina's mommy

Shelly said...

Elaine! Are you going to make it to Hershey this summer? Oh, how I hope to see you there!

~Shelly

Anonymous said...

Oh Shelly, they are simply precious. You are both such wonderful parents, they sure do have a wonderuful childhood, full of traditional imaginative joy!
Blessings,
Kate

Anonymous said...

WOW! What an awesome way to celebrate Valentine's Day! I can just see Aleska's face smiling with such excitement and Liana and Adam serving you both with such love and pride. When I need a creative activity to do with Andrew I refer to your blog. What precious children you have. Love to you all. The Millilo Family.