Friday, February 29, 2008

This Bloggin' Thing

Been thinking about this blogging business lately. I honestly have No Idea how many people are reading anymore. I know that there is a way to find out how many people have checked in and such, but that would require some fancy-pants investigating, and well, I'm much too busy, and not quite that curious. ;O) But I do know that a whole lot of people out there *really* know me, but uh, well, I don't know them from Adam. This summer I have a chance to put some faces to many names that I've come across over these last few years though a reunion of families within our adoption group. I'm really looking forward to it! - Though, I must admit, I'm rather skeered. Well, not really skeered. Just, well, weirded out. Ok "weirded out" is a little too strong. Maybe just nervous.

This winter a family came to our house who has been a long-time blog reader. I knew them an itty-bitty bit, but they knew me Rather Well. So well, in fact, that when I was showing them where the bathroom was, they said something like, "Ah yes, that's where the map with St. Petersberg is!" LOL! It was a little intimidating to say the least. To instantly realize that I have come face-to-face with someone who not only knows that Liana jumped into the toilet, but may very well remember me complaining about such things as constipation, !, chin hairs, !, knows I'm guilty of digging up dead rabbits, and I'm sure Many Other Things I'd rather forget that I blabbed about! And now with this reunion this summer to meet a whole bunch of 'em at once! Yikes!

Anyway, I'm not seriously all that worried or freaked out, it's just that I've been thinking about it lately and decided to blog about my blog. I am thankful, though, for the handful of you that have given me links to your own blogs! It has been fun to get to know YOU better, though I confess I don't always have time to keep up with them as I'd like, and I've lost track of a few of you (Kate! Where are ya, you seem to be password protected now!) And others don't post too often, so I forget to check (Lisa! Missy!) And others post so much that I miss a ton because I haven't checked it every day (Ruth! Tami! I really need to keep up with you both daily to really know what's up with you both!)

Speaking of Tami. (Ok, we weren't really speaking of Tami, but I just happened to think of something. My blog, I can rabbit trail if I want...) Another downfall of this blogging thing, is that because I have no Real Live Face to the names, people get mixed up. I'm fairly certain there are two Tami's (Well, a Tamm-y/-i/-ie/-I-can't-remember-right-now-because-it's-late), though I might be remembering wrong... and there are at least used to be two Joanna's. And because I didn't KNOW there were really two Joanna's, I once made a giant boo-boo and because the one had just told me that she was adopting from Guatemala, I had assumed that she had MISCARRIED because the "other Jo" had just told me she was pregnant. And so I emailed the pregnant one with a "congrats on adopting, but sorry you miscarried" message. OOPS. She was puzzled to say the least, and once I realized that there were two Jo's, and that one was expecting, and the other was adopting, I was Mortified and had to do a whole lot of apologizing! (Jo's baby was born perfectly healthy and beautiful by the way!)

Oh, and speaking of there being two of someone, just so the Barbs know, I now have two Cousin Barbs reading my blog... and I guess I'm announcing that so that when THEY see a comment from "themselves" they won't scratch their heads too much. *tee-hee* I have a Cousin Barb on my mom's side of the family who has just adopted two absolutely GORGEOUS little girls, and I have a Cousin Barb on my Dad's side of the family who I met years ago while doing family tree stuff. If you two could leave a last initial with your comments, that would help me out a lot! ;O) I wish you both had blogs, because I'd love to get to know you both a lot better!

Well anyway, bunny trail over. Enough late-night rambling for tonight... I'm beat.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that there are probably quite a few people that keep up with your blog, or try to. I know some that have asked me for the address again because they have lost you for one reason or another. (Not intending to make you more nervous or anything.) I love it just because it makes me feel more connnected sometimes. You know how I hate the distance between us. Thankfully it is not too far, but far enough to miss you a lot.

I am glad that you will be getting to put faces to some of the names of those reading your blog, etc. It should be a very special time.

Love you all,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Shelly, Laurel in Tulsa here! Still read your blog; enjoying the new photos! You really should get one of those maps that tracks your readers... they are amazing! Glad all is well with your family and really do hope to meet you soon although we are not making the reunion this year (so far haven't been to one). God Bless!

Anonymous said...

Hi Shelly,

Thanks for the nice compliment on my girls. I enjoy reading your updates on your family. Blogging is such a personal thing it's amazing so many people are open to everyone knowing some of their business. Thanks again..

Your cuz,
Barb L.

Tami said...

I know what you mean about meeting people who know you through your blog. It's a bit unnerving, but very rewarding especially when you share so much in common (like adoption).
And BTW - come on over and get caught up! I've missed you!

Ruth said...

I still read your blog! Sometimes I feel guilty for posting too long of posts but then I think to myself - no one HAS to read this. If they want to they will, if they don't they won't and I won't be offended as I won't know. I know certain people like my mom reads every word and that's fine bc I spend less time emailing her than I did before the blog. So anyhow I know you're a busy lady and don't want you to feel obligated to read all my verbose posts! Just check in on me whenever you feel like it. :-) Today's the day we should learn the gender of baby so you might want to check the blog later today! :-)

Joanna said...

Shelly, I still read your blog! I know it must be crazy to think of all the people out there that know you better than you know them. But your blog has been a ministry to me many times! I always appreciate your sense of humor and your desire to parent your kids for the Lord, and this encourages me. Thank you for keeping up with the posts (but don't feel obligated if it becomes too much of a chore). :)

Love,
Joanna (as in, the one with Noah)

adoptedthree said...

Hey Shelley
You will LOVE the reunion. They are alot of fun! It doesnt matter if you know the people or not, you will meet lots of them and have so much in common.

It is fun that is why we have gone to six of them and I will see ya in Hershey.

Rachel said...

I definitely check in on your blog once in a while, and I'm a complete stranger!
But yeah, blogging is weird... I have no clue who all is reading mine...
No one really leaves me comments so that's not a great way to gauge readership I don't think. Not sure. Anyway, happy March to you, and your family from a random person in San Francisco.