Monday, August 30, 2004

First day at church

Well, John and I gathered up the courage to take all three kids to church with us this morning. Our church has a Children's service, so they were upstairs for the opening songs and prayers, etc., and then we all went downstairs. The kids did GREAT, but we had prepared them the night before that we would be going there, and we showed them pictures and told them who would be there, etc. (We also read the riot act to them to inspire good behavior). Adam saw John's necktie this morning, and begged for one of his own. John hooked him up with one of his. When he went to Walmart later on, John brought a new tie home just for Adam. Very excited boy.

John and I had a small panic when we saw that it was "review Sunday" for the kids at church, and they had to answer questions from the month/s before and then get CANDY for doing so. They started to really get antsy about everyone but them getting some, but they were still very good and didn't pitch any fits. Just acted like any other kid would in such a situation and pointed and chatted among themselves about how so-and-so got FIVE pieces, etc. (Thankfully the teacher let them have some after it was over).

Anyway, aside from Liana sticking her tongue out at everyone, (!!), they all did really well. Who knows why on earth she needed to do so, but we will be having a chit-chat about that before we go back to church again.

We had forgotten that there was a fellowship meal after church this morning, and I was relieved that John felt the same way I did about skipping that for now. Adam especially is still pretty food-driven, and seeing that much food all at once would send him into orbit. We found some leftover lunch in his pillowcase last night, (ewwww!), so our hunch was right on the money. Left a giant grease spot on the bed/pillow/pillowcase. *sigh* (He would have gotten all giddy and over-excited seeing all the food, and we would have found chocolate cake and goulash stuffed in his pockets "for later.")

I'm coming down with a doozy of a cold. Sore throat, head ache, body ache, etc. Not cool that it is also John's first day back to work for the full day. Gonna be a loooooong day for me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shelly and John, your family sounds so awesome. The kids are doing great aren't they?!? When I read your blogs, I just get more and more excited about adopting from the Ukraine. At first I felt scared about attachment disorders and emotional problems that you hear about and I didn't know if I was strong enough to effectively handle that. But you have made me feel as though love and trust can diminish many issues with these attention-starved kids. Thanks for giving me hope and confidence. I can't wait for my trip to find my kid(s). Jo from the ttc boards