Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Taxi Drivers and Crying Kids

August 2, 2004 Monday

Lots of running around today. We went to city hall a few times, the orphanage a few times, etc. Not much time at the hotel. That’s ok, Vika got a lot accomplished. John and I did a lot of sitting in the taxi waiting. That was ok, because we got to know our taxi driver a little better. (We have the same lady every day). Her name is Katerina, and she is from Bulgaria. I was tickled to find that out. It seems like the people who have highlighted our trip most for us (besides our sweet little kids of course) have been Bulgarians! Strange! Never met a Bulgarian in my life aside from a little boy we know that was adopted from there, until this trip. Anyway, Katerina is the best. We can’t speak Russian and she can’t speak English, but we get along just fine. Lots of looking up words and phrases in our phrase book, but we’ve gotten along just fine. She caught on to my picture-taking compulsion and has learned to just pull over when we see things like goats running down the side of the road, etc. so I can get a picture. She’s awesome. :O) She has a son and a daughter and a sweet little granddaughter that she showed us a picture of. I want to put her in my pocket and take her home with us.

Liana cried and cried when Adam and Aleksa went back to their groupas after our morning visits. She knew she was going next. It wasn’t an “I’m angry and want my way” cry, it was a broken-hearted, “please don’t make me go back there” cry. She was a little ragdoll in her papa’s arms and she just clung to him and cried. It was weird, but while she was crying I kept thinking that it was good that she was crying. Lots of hurt to cry out. She’s definitely the one I worry about. My little Liana has seen too much; been too hungry, been too cold, played in the dirt too long, gone without baths too long, gone without pretty new dresses too long, played in piles of broken glass and cigarettes too long, had to steal the vegetables in the orphanage garden too long, gone without kisses and bandaids for her owies for too long. She’s been without us too long. It broke our hearts to have to put her back to her groupa, but Vika and the orphanage director explained to her that it will take a little bit of time before we can finally get her out, but that we are going as fast as we possibly can. She did quit crying, but it was hard, hard, hard for all of us. What would have happened to her if we hadn’t come for her? I don’t even want to think about that.

Aleksa also cried today. Completely different reason. It seems that her mama told her “no!” *gasp!* She cried the biggest crocodile tears you ever saw, and I got a few cute pics of Papa holding her. One of the caregivers came over to see what was up and I thought, “here we go, she’s going to tell them I’m the worst mama in the world.” She didn’t. She told her that Valya/Liana had done something to her (hit her maybe?) and the caregiver made Liana come over and apologize and kiss her. I couldn’t believe Liana didn’t even put up a fuss. She just apologized to her and kissed her. Made me think this must be a regular occurrence with The Warrior Princess! Vika was inside talking to the director when that happened, so we couldn’t stick up for Liana.

Btw, since someone else asked us, I should mention that we don’t care how you pronounce Liana. I like it the Russian way – leeAHnna; John pronounces it the normal way that you’d pronounce the name “LeeAnna.” Whatever way you want is fine. I just think leeAHnna sounds better with her middle name, and with the fact that she’s Ukrainian. But, alas, she’s going to grow up in the Midwestern US where everyone is self-conscious of saying the “ah” sound in anything. *sigh*

Adam is doing wonderful. He’s like his papa though…. Already addicted to computers and gadgets. He loves taking pictures of anything that moves. And things that don’t. We have countless pictures of the dirt on the ground, and peoples’ feet. He’s so gentle though. He hugs his sisters, and would carry Aleksa around if she would let him. (She’s a little too independent to want that though… She only wants Mama these days.) Adam likes to charm you into getting what he wants. If you tell him that it’s time to put his computer thingie away, he gives you a big hug and says the Ukrainian equivalent of pretty please. It has worked for him more than once… ;O) We have to find some new toys for these kids. The things we keep bringing are getting old already, though if I brought balloons each time, it would be plenty exciting. They get awful wound up with them though, so I don’t bring many.

Adam was still wearing the same green outfit. I’m going to be glad to see that go. Liana was back in the pink dress from a few days ago. Aleksa had on a new outfit altogether, so that was good. They all still have the same dirt on that they’ve had all along. I’m going to feel much better for them once they’ve had a good bubble bath. (Hopefully that goes well… we’ve heard horror stories about their First Bath with their new parents….)

We walked to the store for some ice cream tonight, and BOY is it YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY. We bought a big bag of it. (Yes, bag). It is softer here, and more whipped-cream-like. Hard to explain it, but I’ve never had better and neither has John. We had it with our over-ripe peaches which are TO DIE FOR GOOD. Great food here!

Sorry, Mom Fisher, I forgot to take that last measurement for you tonight. Tomorrow….

Love you all!

P.S. Brenda, send us a picture of your girls, we will print it and give it to the director. She doesn't have email.
P.P.S. Brenda and Elaine, did you notice my comment below your questions?

Shelly

A cool sunflower?
Our Taxi Driver (taken by Adam)
Aleksa Crying
Adam and Liana hugging

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey guys!

I've just finished getting caught up from over the weekend. I wanted to send a heartfelt congratulations to you all. The kids are ADORABLE! You will certainly have your hands full. =) I'm so happy you have now earned the title of an "Oldie", but also an "Older Kids" Mom! Welcome!!!!! =)

We had the NC reunion yesterday and Cheri Williford said she had emailed you b/c their son Alex is from the same orphanage and they stayed where you guys are staying. She is very thrilled for you guys, too! Their son and Max have become best pals!!! Its funny, but I remember when you and I had emailed some time ago about your approval for 3 kids, that I told you that you guys were sure to find 3 angels there. Isn't it amazing how God plants a seed that we are sure will not grow, and then we get a suprise as bright as the sunflower you recently posted. God is good!

Stay strong, enjoy the ride, take lots of photos, enjoy those fantastic juices, and keep on loving those kids. Can't wait for the next post!

Penney (and Byron, Nicholaus, and Max)
Ukrainian Angels Family #646

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for all of you! Sounds like things are getting smoother and smoother as the days go by. Sounds like the kids LOVE thier Momma and Papa alot.

Can't wait to see ALL of you when you get back. Still praying for speedy paper work-so that you can end this long journey and begin your next life long journey together as a real family that all of you deserve!

Saty healthy and will keep checking in for any updates :D.

Mark and Fausta

Anonymous said...

Hi Shelly,

Yes, I did see your comment to me. :) Thank-you so much! I am sure Dima will get it to Olga just fine.:O)

I love reading your journal here and seeing the pictures. I know this part of the process seems long but before you know it you will have those 3 beautiful children home!

~Elaine
Delaina's mama
IUAFN #499

Anonymous said...

Hey John & Shelly,

It is awesome to be following along with you in your journey to adopt these children. God is Awesome and always blesses the faithful. Thank you for your example of faithfulness and longevity.

We were thinking back of our journey to adopt Ivan from the region of Lu'hansk and you sharing your experience brought back many great memories.

You are in our prayers daily and thank you for sharing your heart with us all!

Love in Christ

Pete & Julie, Ivan, Kacie, and Josiah Phipps

Anonymous said...

I have only been able to check in every 3 or 4 days and I was ecstatic today to see pics and here about your children. You two are SO blessed. The children are absolutely stunning!!! You all make a beautiful family. Thanks for keeping us informed.
April Elder