Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Sewing again

Today was a fun day of cutting out pattern/fabric pieces for making myself a dress. Mom Fisher and John's sister Cara came over to help me. I'm a bit green at this stuff yet.

Guess what else? I've also got fabric for making matching dresses for me and the girls. *big grin* Aleksa liked the fabric for those dresses so much that she pet it. Liana didn't seem to remember saying she didn't want to match her sister anymore once she heard that I would also match. (I said, "Liana, I didn't think you'd like a dress like Mama's. You didn't want to wear dresses like Aleksa's!") She grimaced and said she didn't remember saying that. (GOTCHA LIANA!!!!!) (*tee-hee*)

Now, to figure out how to sew these things. I was reading the instructions tonight, and it didn't sound terribly promising when I couldn't understand Direction Number One: "Stay-stitch front and back neck edges..." and then later, "The stay-stitching stays in permanently." (What on earth is "stay-stitching"!? Aren't ALL the stitches supposed to stay?!) Might have to schedule another afternoon with my sewing tutor...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shelly,

Stay-stitching I believe is a loose (wide) zig-zag stitching that doesn't actually sew two pieces together, it just keeps the edges from fraying after the finished product is done. You just make the zig-zag on the seam allowance. Later it will not show, because it will be on the seam edges on the inside of your garment. It's a bit like rudimentary serging I suppose.

(I have actually skipped doing this step in the past, it doesn't affect the finished product, but it will help the inside seam edges from fraying and ravelling in the wash later on.)

Kay B.

...still lurking on your site, waiting for "our turn" in Ukraine. Love reading about the kids. Your story and a few others have really opened my eyes and my heart to widening the age range when we adopt. - I was first only considering 2-4 years old. Now considering up to 7 or 8. I don't think we will go any older, only because I want to stay younger than our bio sons. (Currenlty 8 and 10)

Anonymous said...

Hi Kay! Thanks for the heads up on the stay-stitching. Reading the directions is like reading a foreign language! But, I think it's kinda fun, so I'll sweat it out somehow.

Please keep me posted on when you travel! I'm always excited to hear of a family headed for UA, and I appreciate you letting me know that my kiddos' story has helped you consider older kids. Nice that my late nights in front of the computer might be doing something for somebody, especially if it is a little kid.

Stay in touch!

Shelly

PS I'm loving this new way to post comments! MUCH easier!