Tuesday, January 17, 2006

17 Months Home

Boy has this been a busy winter! I have a stack of unsent Christmas cards that I have no idea what to do with. Do I send out Valentines this year, I wonder? lol! It makes me sick that I never sent them - I was lacking stamps so long, finally bought them, and then they up and changed how much it costs to send a letter! Any advice what I should do? Keep them all 'til next year? I'm feeling majorly guilty over it!

Adam has been making big strides in math. Suddenly, he's understanding math concepts (like multiplication) after just one afternoon of informally explaining it to him. He has been getting only one or two wrong on a page of math instead of him kicking and screaming to just sit down with the book open in front of him. I think he's also made some good strides in his attachment to us this month - though we did have a few rocky days in there too. He's been really good about getting right to work with his school stuff, though his very least favorite thing in the wide world is reading out loud. He can do pages of his language workbook without getting anything wrong, but oral reading is really, really hard for him. He has very little confidence, and he sounds out each letter as a crutch to "getting" the word -even the short-vowel, three-letter words. But, we continue to plug away. Adam is using better sentences now, though we are still having to remind him to say things the right way. He is just now finally using "is/do" occasionally without being reminded. He's made big strides even this month, though articulation is still tough on some sounds, (r's are killers for him), and he often rushes through words instead of sounding them out the right way - which he can do if reminded to slow down. For instance, instead of saying to his sisters, "Get out of here!" He'll often say, "Ge-yout here!" I've caught myself asking him to say "Get out of here" better... It just seemed wrong! lol! I've already talked about how girl crazy he is, so I won't go there again, but UFF, are we going to have our hands full with this guy!

Liana is really EXTRA cruising with math. She has been doing her math without getting anything wrong, and quickly memorizing her facts. As with Adam, reading aloud is tough for her, but it comes a little easier for her than Adam. It's work, so she doesn't enjoy it. She reads a lot more fluently than Adam does, however, she just really doesn't enjoy it and gets easily frustrated. I've been having her and Adam take turns reading paragraphs in their readers. It seems less intimidating to both of them to know that they won't have to read the ENTIRE page by themselves. I've also found that it is good for them to have a little peer pressure, and to be helping each other sound out words. (They both enjoy being in charge of the other, so they get a kick out of "teaching" their sibling).

Liana's articulation is getting better and better all the time, and she can finally say her "r's" well. She really has a great vocabulary and expresses herself really well. Except for a slight accent, she doesn't have any language "handicaps" except an occassional lack of a vocabulary word. (The word "blaze" was in her language book the other day, and she had no idea what it was.)

Aleksa, however, has dropped my jaw more than once this month. The little sneak has taught herself to read and is constantly sounding out words, and we're constantly hearing a *loud* Aleksa excitedly screaming whatever word she's just deciphered. She's figured out blends and everything. A few weeks ago as I was reminding Liana that "igh" said "I," Aleksa read the word "right" over her sister's shoulder. On top of that, she's also started writing down words by sounding them out. She's better at "a" vowel words, but I'm amazed that she can do it at all at this point! It really seems like she wakes up in the morning knowing stuff. The lights just either seem off or on for her, and she's flipped a TON of switches on this month. I had had no idea that she was that ready to read until she just up and started reading. (It just too bad it doesn't come as easily for the other two!) She's also been working on learning to write her numbers. She just today learned to write the 0,1,2,4 and 7. She has also been sitting in on all the science, history and read-alouds for school (her choice). For fun we've all been reading the Little House on the Prairie books, and we're almost through the second book. I had wondered how much was actually "sticking" with Aleksa, who has also been sitting in for those too. She now goes through the house with her dolly calling it "Baby Carrie," and calling Adam "Pa" and talking about the wolves and indians outside. I love that the stories we've been reading have carried over to play-time fun!

Adam's birthday was on Saturday. We have a big 11 year old now! We made him a loft bed for his birthday, which he loves, but it sure makes tuck-in time a lot more difficult! Last night John had to throw me up on his bed, and then catch me as I rolled off. It amused Adam lots, so I guess the extra effort was worth it!

In other words, things are going well for us, with a few minor struggles here and there. Not a whole lot different than the rest of the world, I guess!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy 11th birthday, Adam! Your loft bed sounds awesome:) It's so interesting to read about your kids' school progress, as I will be trying to teach my little one next year at this time (fingers crossed) I will really be asking you for lots of help, Shelly. Oh- my opnion, but, I'd send out your Christmas cards. I get late ones from my friends every year and I enjoy their cards very much. Jo from the ttc adoption board