Thursday, January 19, 2006

Rough Day Sunday

I've been meaning all week to blog about Sunday night. I'm still shaking my head over it.

The kids are in a "kids' club" at church that sings for the congregation like once every 6-8 weeks or so. Sunday night was The Night. So, I needed to get the kids to church a half hour before the service started at 6:00. No prob. We can be there by 5:30, no sweat. I thought. John was at choir practice already, so it was all up to me to get us there in time. Well, about 5:00, the kids were goofing around, and Liana comes out of her room and says, "Mama, I didn't do it on purpose this time." And points to her hair. More specifically, she pointed to the GUM in her hair. Gum which she had already been trying to get out. In other words, it was matted in there really badly.

Freak Out Time for Mama. I quickly slathered on the peanutbutter, and started picking it out. I am not real happy about right then, but she didn't do it on purpose, so whaddaya do? Well, there obviously wasn't time to wash her hair, so I tell her that she has to wear her hair up so her hat (it's a sailor hat which all the clubbers wear) will cover it. She would be ok as long as she left the hat on.

Got the gum out, but Liana does NOT like her hair up this way. She starts crying and wailing. And, she can't find her skirt. And when she finds it, she doesn't want to wear the tights I picked for her. So, she cries and wails some more.

My nerves are shot by then. I ordered the other two out to the car, and suddenly, I realize I have No Idea in the wide world where my car keys are. I frantically dump out my purse, peruse the kitchen, the livingroom, all my favorite "dumping points" and can't find them. I'm really panicked by then, but I did find them in a bag I'd used the day before. I'm actually perspiring by then...

So, Liana is still crying in the bathroom getting dressed. She's hating her hair and her outfit, (boy am I going to have fun with her when she really IS into that stuff!) (OY) Suddenly, Aleksa starts screaming outside. I just can't handle it. Why is nothing going right all of a sudden?! From what I could understand, she hurt her ear outside. Ok, no blood; she'll probably live. I don't give her a whole lot of sympathy, to be real honest. I'm just wanting to pull out of the driveway Right Now.

So, Liana finally comes out of the bathroom and we leave. Both girls still crying, and Adam is Ticked Off, which is a usual if his sisters are hurt or crying about something. He gets mad at me when they are upset. (Which makes me CRAZY and it sure didn't help what I was already feeling at that point!) (I DIDN'T DO IT, ADAM!)

Anyway, I don't know how we did it, but we pulled up into the church parking lot right on time. Everyone is in Quite a Mood, but we're there.

Everyone sang like angels (WhatEver!), and alls well that ends well. Right?

Ready for the icing on the cake though? I found out the next day that Aleksa's sore ear was caused from (ready for this?), she had shut the car door on her ear! HOW DID SHE DO THAT? Her ear is actually quite bruised from it! I can't even imagine how she had her head positioned *at all* or WHY it would have been positioned in such a way, or WHY she shut it on HERSELF, but sure enough, Adam saw it, and Leksa felt it. Her ear got slammed in the car door. I wouldn't have believed it, but that little ear is black and blue...

Calgon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! I have never ever heard of anyone getting their EAR slammed by a car door!!! But having done it to a finger before I know how much it hurts. Yeah her crying was definitely genuine!! Although if Adam saw her do it to herself how could it be YOUR fault??? Well anyhow how her little ear heals quickly and that you don't have any more gum in the hair incidents! Now I think I understand why my mom never let us ever chew gum, lol. Of course I am an avid gum chewer now so who knows if I'll have that rule for my kids or not - my parents never chew gum, lol.
Have a great day! Ruth

Anonymous said...

Oops I meant to say "hope her little ear heals quickly" not "how her little ear". Ruth

Anonymous said...

OH Shelly,
I know it isn't funny....but I did get a chuckle!

You HAVE to get Liana the book: Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very bad, Day! It is my all time favorite book in the whole world. He gets gum stuck in his hair too and then his day goes downhill from there. Sounds like her day on Sunday.

Hugs to you all!

Penney
Mommy to Max (8) and Nicholaus (9)
Adopted 3/2003 from Chirnigiv Region, Ukraine
http://www.mizellbrooks.homestead.com