Wednesday, January 04, 2006

New Year Weekend

Well, I think I'm officially worn out. And getting *another* cold too. Christmas was wonderful this year, and I'm feeling it! lol!

We headed up north to John's grandparents' house for the New Year weekend, (Thursday-Sunday). It was the longest we've ever been away from home with the kids. I had wondered how they'd do, but they held up pretty well. By Sunday afternoon, they were ready to let some wiggles out, and had to be asked to calm down, quit yelling, etc. But, it was all basic kid stuff, I think.

One of John's cousins was there on Saturday. She is rather beautiful, and our Adam went ga-ga over her. (Which inspired a *very serious* Father-son chit-chat on the way home about how we don't touch girls we aren't married to.) Adam was touching her feet, legs, trying to hold her hand under the table, telling her she was beautiful, and pretty much giving this lady the heebie-jeebies. And I don't blame her! lol! Adam has become quite the Casanova lately, and he's Just Gotta Knock It Off. He's been asking to call girls, has written an "I love you" note to a girl from church, and pretty much has gone all girl-crazy. And it is Frightening me! lol! Adam really is a toucher, and I have no doubt that his hands are going to get himself in big trouble some day soon. Touch is really Adam's love-language, and boy does he like to cash in. He's constantly hugging and touching everyone... Me, John, grandparents, cousins, friends, strangers... I myself am *not* a touchy-type, so it even creeps ME out sometimes. He's in my body bubble a lot, and I've really been challenged to shrink that bubble down since he's come home! lol!

Anyway, the kids put on a tea party for their grandma Fisher, and great-grandparents (and the knock-out cousin too!) (You'll never guess who sat next to her...) ;O) Great-grandma got down some tea-cups and saucers which were her wedding gifts to make up for everyone (we only have four cups with the kids' set).

Adam helped the Guys bring in firewood for Great-grandpa (he burns wood in the winter), and also did quite a bit of shoveling. John and his dad shoveled the snow off the roof. I was Chief Dishwasher, and the girls pretty much just chased the dog, each other, or anyone else around. lol!

They have an absolute dream house. The set up is wonderful; nothing fancy, just very homey, but their location is perfect. It is a cozy house nestled way off the road into the woods. There are tall pines all around in their yard, but the yard isn't bordered by a fence - it is bordered by dense Northern Minnesota woods. You look out any window in their house and you'd think you were miles away from civilization. Complete privacy. The truth of the matter is that just down the highway from their house, they have a SuperWalmart. I mean just a few blocks away. Like a one minute drive. It's the best of both the city and country right in one little spot! It's wonderful. We always come home from "Grandma's" very well fed (she's an awesome Norwegian cook!), and feeling like we've been on vacation. Hard to leave, in other words.

Which brings us to our actual trip home. Everyone was a bit melancholy having to leave, and the girls were cranky. Liana was particularly bear-like. Finally, after a talking-to from Papa, she started crying. If she were 13, I'd call her hormonal - "I need to cry just because!" Well, John decided to pull over and give the girl a big hug. The next thing we knew, a woman pulled over to find out if something was wrong - (I guess she doesn't see people hugging on the side of the road very often? lol!) When John told her nothing was wrong, that his daughter just needed a hug, she tilted her head, sorta said, "awwww," smiled, and got back into her car.

Not 30 seconds after John and Liana got re-buckled and we took off again, Aleksa burst into tears too. *sigh*

He didn't pull over this time, but he did hold her hand for a few minutes. Such a sneak preview into what things will be like at the Fisher House in about 8 years when we have me, Liana at 15, and Leks at 13. That year will be such excitement for John and Adam with THREE hormonal crazies in the house! lol!

Anyway, that was the weekend in a nutshell! Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"He's in my body bubble a lot, and I've really been challenged to shrink that bubble down since he's come home!"

Boy can I relate to that!!! One of my kiddos is like that! He is such a lovey dovey kid, rubbing my arms and hugging me everytime he passes me throughout the day! I shouldn't complain, I know, but man--he has no concept of personal space!!! LOL

Shelly, your blog leaves me misty eyed more often than not! I love how your John loves on his girls! That is so sweet! And you're right about Adam, it sounds like he's a regular Romeo!

Well, I better get on with the day! Glad you had a nice weekend, it sounds heavenly there!

~Lori in KY