Sunday, October 08, 2006

Apples!

Yesterday we took a day trip "back home." (Hard to call it "home" up here quite yet. I was raised back there, plus our parents live there. Plus our old church, old friends, old familiar everythings...) Little homesick rabbit trail there. Sorry. *sniff*

Anyway, after "Cookin' Day" at my dad's house, we headed to a local orchard/apple stand and got some Fabulous apples for my yearly Columbus Day tradition of making apple pies. We also got some raw honey. I love these trips... Fall in southwest Wisconsin is stunning. We've got bluffs all around us, the Missisippi River, and gorgeous fall colors. Combine that with nice crisp air and sunshine, and it makes for the perfect kind of a day. And the apples! You just can't beat the crispness of an apple fresh-off-the-tree! I love a crunchy, tart apple.

On the way to the check-out, we thought it would be fun to get everyone a carameled apple. We let them each choose their own, and WOW, did their eyes bug out with excitement! As we were walking to the car, Liana said to me, "Mama! I think... I think there's an apple inside this!" LOL. "Yes, Liana, there is!" It's fun that there are still "new" things every now and then.

The kids loved them, except we sorta forgot that Leksa Lu doesn't have any front teeth except for two bottom front ones. But she doesn't have either tooth beside those two bottoms, and neither of her top fronts. She had an awful time. But, she enjoyed sucking the caramel off of it though! Fun day!

3 comments:

Calico Sky said...

I know all about that homesickness! lol
Happy Apple Day and Canadian Thanksgiving (heck even though you are not Canadian!) lol

Anonymous said...

Michigan has good apples too. We made applesauce and apple pies yesterday. When I woke up this a.m I could still smell the apple aroma.

Tamera from ttc

Anonymous said...

This weekend was fabulous. I too grew up in SW Wisconsin and miss it often. I now live in IL and I read your web site because I have a Ukrainian Princess of my own. Isabella was adopted from Boyarka in Nov 2003. Our web sit is www.caringbridge.org/il/meyerukraineadopt.