Thursday, October 12, 2006

True American Boy

Adam is officially an American boy.

Today, he asked us for a GameBoy.

Groan.

The word "Gameboy" has *never* passed our lips since he came home from UA, but he found one in a catalog. He sat and stared at that dumb "Gameboy" for the longest time, and at bedtime tonight, he asked for it again.

Ya know, I don't think I'd know a Gameboy if it was sitting right in front of me. I have absolutely no idea what they are. I know they are all the rage with boys his age, but I really have no clue. I barely know what a Nintendo is. We have one, so I *should* know what it is, but I have no idea how to turn it on, let alone play it. John's department, bigtime. I had an Atari 2600 as a girl... That's more my speed...

I told him he'll hafta wait til Papa's ship comes in. He had no clue what that meant. It's so funny hearing him try *so* hard to use Americanisms... they sorta flop on him. His favorite new phrase is "Howdy!" (Think "Woody" from "Toy Story,") The "Howdy!" is fine, but then he sometimes adds, "Howdy, Pardon!" Sorta gives himself away as being "not from these parts..."

Still, he wins the award as "True American Boy" today. Don't think they had "Gameboys" in Ukraine.

3 comments:

Calico Sky said...

lol oh no, the fishers may enter the gameboy world! lol
I HATE the things!
you can google them for images. I tried to paste one here but blogger wouldn't let me.
I hate them hate them hate them! But then again I am not a teenage boy.
Um Shelly do you realize your son is almost a TEENAGER?!?!?!
p.s. they are pretty expencive too, definately a 'big present' and saving allowance!
I wonder if Adam would like them, someone I knows son spend 3 months saving his allowance, doing extra jobs and put 1/2 towards one the other 1/2 put in as his B-day present, he tried many times for a week but just didn't like it, it required good fine motor skills and he wasn't that type of kid! lol boy was he dissapointed!!! poor kid

Missy said...

Shelly,
I have to say that I have a gameboy and I do enjoy it! Although, to be honest, I usually only play it if I am traveling. Just another thing to do other than reading a book. But I do agree, gameboys do require a ton of fine motor skills. Maybe that would be a good thing with his hands or maybe it would be a little frustrating for him. Not sure...but if he gets one and likes it..he will LOVE it! Just my opinion.
Missy

Calico Sky said...

you are right Melissa, most kids love em! lol
but I don't (can you tell?!) I think its because so many kids I nannyed had them and had no boundaries, it became an issue all the time, wanting to play above and beyond anything else. Of course mama shelly wouldn't allow that! lol And I know in reality I may (just may) have to eventually have one for my kids (sigh)