Monday, October 09, 2006

Columbus Day/Insecurity

*edited 10/11 so if my blog/email addy is ever shared, there won't be a problem, kwim?*

I love Columbus Day. Well, I don't really get into the "Columbus" part, but I sure love makin' apple pies! We made a big ol' mess in the kitchen, so I guess it was a success! ;O) I had planned on grocery shopping tonight, but I'm zonked. T'morrow.

Had an Exhibit A example of insecurity today with Liana.

Adam had decided on his own to go through the house and empty the wastepaper baskets, and take the garbage out. When I noticed what he was doing, I made a BIG deal to him about how great it was to take initiative, etc., and that he was being a responsible young man, etc., etc., etc. Well, Liana bee-lined to the kitchen, grabbed a trash bag, and ran to the garage. In a matter of seconds she had pushed him out of the way of the garbage can, and KICKED him to keep him away from her so she could put the garbage bag in the can and not Adam.

See, I had praised Adam, and well, she wanted that praise. So, she was going to do anything it took for her to get it. We had a long talk about how I will always love her and blah, blah, blah. It took a LOT of questions to get her to come to the same conclusions I wanted her to go. I held her for a long time as we talked, and finally, she "got it." Well, she did for today anyway. She's been an angel, and completely giddy-happy since then. Can never reassure these kiddos enough that we love them and are proud of them, etc., etc.

How did this post go from pies to all that? I'm such a rambler!

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving, btw, to Marnie (er, Dancing Princess), to Kate and any other Canadian friends I might have out there!

4 comments:

Marnie said...

Oh, thank you! There I was reading your post as usual when suddenly I showed up at the end of it! It's nice to be remembered. I'm glad you had fun making pies -- what could be better at this time of year?

(OK, playing in the leaves might be even better.)

Anonymous said...

Sorry Kate and Mom about pulling your (very nice) comments...

I do try to be careful about who I've shared my blog/email address with IRL since my move, but ya just never know!

I try to keep my thoughts on this blog "to my kids" and sometimes it overlaps to other events/people, and I try to be thoughtful of that, but as I was pondering yesterday's post, I realized that if I knew they were reading, I would have posted something "different." ;O) Gotta be careful!

Anyway, I hope I didn't offend either of you by pulling the comments off...

Calico Sky said...

No prob shelly. I actually thought about that today when I was at work and was gonna email you about it.
the world wide web, glorious isn't it?! lol

Calico Sky said...

p.s. my blog name is now Kate M as there was another Kate and some confusion!