Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Busy Day!

Yesterday was sure a packed day! In the morning, the kiddos and I went to Grandpa's house. We hadn't been there in a week (we *always* go at least once a week), so it was High Time. We've been having such cold and snow that I've not wanted to poke my nose out the door much except to finish up Christmas shopping.

Then, when we came home, my sil brought her 3yo and 9mo over for me to babysit for the rest of the day. So, from 11-5, I had five munchkins running around over here. Strangely, I actually got a lot done! I managed to get my laundry done, vacuuming done, 1 bathroom cleaned, plus an almost all-day project with the kiddos of making salt-dough ornaments. My sil's 3yo begs to do play-do every time he's here, so I thought it would be a good idea to do something like that. He had a good ole time, and so did my crew. Especially when I broke out the paints. The 3yo thought it would be fun to paint the table surface as well as his ornaments lol! Good thing I have a clear plastic vinyl over the top of my table. The kids can do anything they want to the table, (except cut into it!) (Which they've done! lol), and it won't hurt anything. I have lots of notes, maps, alphabet/handwriting charts, etc under the vinyl. We have limited wall-space, so the table has become a "wall" of sorts.

Anyway, I also made homemade soup last night on top of all the chaos. I have no idea how any of the above happened! Lol! The 9mo is pretty um, tempermental at times, so when she's tired or irritated, Everyone knows about it. Thankfully she didn't scream the entire time she was here like she did last time! lol! We all had lots of fun. Our kiddos love it when their cousins come to play. I just have to realllllly watch that my girls don't get too much into "Mama" mode. They both are pretty bossy with anyone smaller than them. (And if I'm only talking about Liana, she'll get bossy with anyone, Period!)

By the way, I couldn't stand the mess of my tree anymore, and the other night after everyone went to bed, I took everything off the tree, put about 2/3 of them away, and then redecorated. I had been literally picking up ornaments off the floor all day long and putting them back on. It was just nuts. TOO MUCH JUNK on the tree! (I hate clutter!) (You'd never know that if you saw my computer desk, however!) I really hoped nobody would wake up and see me do it, but nobody did. (I would have felt like the Grinch!) But, the funny part, is that even three days later, NOBODY has noticed! John knew I did it, of course, and he says it is now a beautiful tree, but none of the kids even blinked twice at it... They're too busy keeping a watchful eye on how many candy canes are left! That's what they're worried about! lol!

That's the news here. Hope everyone is having a wonderful Christmas week!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shelly,

What a great idea about the clear vinyl tablecloth with stuff under it that you need to refer to often! I'd have never thought of that! So, how do you keep your kiddos from pulling the tablecloth one way or the other? Is it anchored somehow? See, your blog is about way more than just adoption--it's homeschooling and organization, too!

Speaking of which, I've spent way more time than I can really afford to over at the blog you referred me to. What an inspiration she is! I feel like such a sluggard compared to her!

Anyway, Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

The plastic is mildly thick and a little stiff. So, after a day or two on the table, it sort of molded to the table. Unless you lift it on purpose, or pull *really* hard, it isn't going anywhere without the table. :o)

Anonymous said...

(Thanks, John, for piping up! You should talk to us more often!) xox

Anyway, Lori, I assume it's you that posted! The vinyl stuff is really cheap and you can get it in the fabric section of Walmart, or probably at a fabric store. We got enough that it fits the table just like a tablecloth - it hangs down over the sides, I mean, so you really can't move it once it has settled molded?) on the table after a day or so. There are different weights of it - we got the heaviest there is so it could take more of a beating! You can also put a pretty tablecloth under it and the kids won't completely trash it during the course of a meal! (I plan to put their Ukrainian embroidered placemats on the table for Christmas dinner).

Oh, I know what you mean about Tam's blog... I feel completely L-A-Z-Y compared to her, and even made John read her latest entry yesterday to show him what a Wonder Woman she is. He was quick to point out that she has a gazillion other sets of hands to accomplish all she does. And he also pointed out that she wakes up at 4:30 or something like that... That didn't help me feel any better to be honest! lol! Still, she's a good influence on me. "If Tam can manage to do this every day, then I can get my little act together and be more organized and productive too." We've sure been eating better at the very least! Last night we had homemade pizza and breadsticks. YUMMY! (And ya know what? It didn't kill me at all to put the extra effort into it!)

Have a good day!

Shelly

Anonymous said...

Yep, it was me! I forgot to sign my name! Duh! Sorry about that. :0)

Okay, I'll have to check out the fabric department next time I'm out!

And you're right about that last post of Tam's! She gets more done by 9:30 than I accomplish all day! YIKES!!!

By the way, I feel very honored that John piped up to talk to me!! I haven't seen him on here very often AT ALL, so it was nice to hear from him!

Hope you guys have a great Christmas!!

~Lori

Marnie said...

A Merry Christmas from me as well, to the whole family. I hope you have a truly wonderful holiday.