Monday, December 26, 2005

Merry Christmas!

We had a really, really wonderful Christmas! Didn't finish any jammies or robes, but we still had a really wonderful Christmas!

Friday morning after breakfast and some last minute wrapping, we went to my Dad's house for a while. He loves his pie, so we brought him one, plus a bunch of cookies along with his gift. Nobody loves presents more than my dear old dad! lol!

A few of my siblings left some gifts for my kiddos when they had come in the days before Christmas, so my kids had an absolute frenzy ripping open their presents. The girls got more lip gloss/make-up than I have! (Well, I don't wear it except on Sundays anyway, so I guess that doesn't say a whole lot!) Not only that, but they got some body-glitter. We have had two little sparkle girls ever since. Adam got some Batman Bath gel/etc., and a compass and hat. He thought the gel was shaving cream, so instead of washing his body, he um, well, he got his first shave. Didn't cut himself, but evidently he did it, because he came out of the bathroom convinced that his face has never been smoother. *groan*

When we got back from Dad's house, John had left the kids' stockings out so the kids could open them. We put the gifts the kids each bought each other in there too, so that was fun to watch. We had taken them all to the Dollar Store last week to get each other presents. Liana bought Adam some masking tape. (He loved it TO DEATH! lol!) Liana bought Aleksa an umbrella, (which she herself had wanted). Adam bought the girls some balloons that made whistle noises. (Very annoying and they just might disappear in the night very soon! lol!) Leks bought Adam a wire-cutters. (Ask me how scared I am!) She bought Liana an umbrella! (She broke the one she got for her birthday, so she's been begging for one since).

Anyway, basically, their stockings had nuts-in-the-shell, giant apples, some sugarless gum, toothbrushes, small "Dollar Store" toys, giant lollypops, and candy-canes (Leks doesn't call them "candy cakes" any more!) :O(

I say all this so you understand my awe when the kids were completely content, excited, and Thrilled To The Max with them. They really assumed that was all they were getting, and they were not disappointed. They played happily for the next several hours with the balloons, little toys, etc., and loved, loved, loved that they had free reign with their candy and nuts. It was all just awesome.

That night, we let them have another round of gifts - this time they got sleeping bags, and the original version of "Annie" which we watched Christmas Eve. The version we had before was the newer Disney version. It is much better, and we'll probably shelf the older one. The older one had a more suspensful ending, but as for the rest, well, I had remembered it differently I guess. There was a bunch of yucky stuff in the old one that I don't much like my kids to have to watch. Lots of "show-girls" not wearing enough clothes, and lots of very yucky dancing that I'm not sure why was necessary. *shiver* Why on earth would you put such yuck in a CHILDREN'S movie? Oy! Anyway, the "magic moment" of Daddy Warbucks asking Annie to be his little girl was much, much better in the newer version anyway. Much better for kiddos.

Anyway! Christmas morning after church we came home to a turkey dinner with some friends. Not just "any" friends either, these are really kindred spirit type of friends. It is an older couple who really could be old enough to be our parents, and I have really loved getting to know these sweet folks in this last year. Sue has taught me a gazillion things about cooking and baking, and she is also the one I'm taking my quilting class from. I wanna grow up to be like her! John has also really liked getting to know the Mr too.

So last night we opened up the rest of the presents. Adam got an indoor-outdoor tent which John set up on his bed right away. He also got some 3D planets that glow-in-the-dark and hang from the ceiling. Between his fish, hamster, tent, and planets (and his little radio-thingie that makes white-noise of crickets chirping), he has a regular campground in his bedroom! He L-O-V-E-D going to bed last night! :O)

Liana got an Easy Bake Oven that she has already broken in... This morning after breakfast we *had* to make some cookies. We made some beautiful cut-out cookies with her oven (and mine!), and then frosted them all. The tea party with Leksa's teaset will be later this afternoon! (There aren't *any* excited children over here today! lol!)

I had to share this poem/song that another adoptive family had on their blog. I've never heard it "in real life," but I hope it is as pretty aloud as it is in print. Brought tears to my eyes anyway, and I had to pass it along...


"All I Really Want for Christmas" by Steven Curtis Chapman

Well, I don't know if you remember me or not
I'm one of the kids they brought in from the home
I was the red-haired boy in an old, green flannel shirt
You may not have seen me, I was standing off alone

I didn't come and talk to you 'cause that's never worked before
And you'll probably never see this letter, anyway
But just in case there's something you can do to help me out
I'll ask you one more time

All I really want for Christmas is someone to tuck me in
A shoulder to cry on if I lose, shoulders to ride on if I win
There's so much I could ask for, but there's just one thing I need
All I really want for Christmas is a family.

Well, I guess I should go ahead and tell you now
If it's really true about that list you have
Somehow I always seem to end up in a fight
But I'm really trying hard not to be bad

But maybe if I had a brother or a dad to wrestle with
Maybe they could teach me how to get along
And from everything I've heard it sounds like the greatest gift
on earth
Would be a mom

All I really want for Christmas is someone who'll be here
To sing me happy birthday for the next 100 years
And it's okay if they're not perfect or even if they're a little broken
That's all right, 'cause so am I

Well, I guess I should go, it's almost time for bed
And maybe next time I write you I'll be at home
'Cause all I really want for Christmas is someone to tuck me in
Tell me I'll never be alone, someone who's love will never end
Of all that I could ask for, well, there's just one thing I need
All I really want for Christmas is a family.


For those of you still waiting for your children, hold on! Keep plugging away! They're out there waiting for you! They need you to not lose heart and toss in the towel! They need their Merry Christmas too...

Much love,

Shelly and family

No comments: