Friday, May 19, 2006

21 Months Home

21 Months home! (A few days late!) This month has been busy and eventful with the move, but it has also been one of the best months with the kids yet. The big move has drawn us all together really beautifully somehow. All the long carrides up here to look for housing, all the excitement of making our new house a "home" and having John home with us so much of the time (though he's not anymore as of Wednesday).

It has been interesting to me to hear surprise from the neighbors/new friends that the kids are from Ukraine. One neighbor just yesterday told me she never would have known! (The kids have been playing with their kids ever since we moved in, so she's had lots of chances to hear them talk). I think they have a bit of an accent yet, but probably she wasn't paying too much attention... ? She also had asked why we homeschool, and that was why I mentioned the "Ukraine thing" in the first place. She was really surprised and said they sooo good and well adjusted. *big grin from Mama*

Food is still big around here. I wish it wouldn't be horrible to pin signs on my kids asking people not to feed them! There is a self-proclaimed "Candy Man" at our new church, and we've had to ask him not to feed our kiddos. (We didn't really have the nerve to do so at our old church, but we figure we're starting over, and can do so here). Adam's attachment to us has probably been the most affected by people *everywhere* giving him treats that we don't normally give him. I don't just give candy and sugary snacks any and every time the kids are around me, and yet there are/were neighbors, folks at church, etc., that would give our kids these things just because the kids said "hello" to them. Sunday School teachers give snacks, candy, and gifts CONSTANTLY, and it makes John and I into caregivers that don't do as well of a job as these Most Wonderful People. Some would even write them notes in the mail, give gift cards, presents, etc. (Ask me how many times I've given my kids gift cards!) Anyway, that stuff has not helped our relationship along At All. It is SO hard to explain, but those of you out there with older adopted kiddos might know what I mean, and if so, I'd love for you to comment, so it can be better explained for the rest of the world reading. (Penney, Brenda, Cath, are you out there???) If anything has been "the hardest" about our older kids, this has been it.

The day before yesterday, I made apple juice for our morning juice instead of our "usual" oj/other fruit juice, and Adam told me that Grandma Fisher gave him/the rest of the kids some apple juice boxes on the way home from the airport in the car. That was 21 months ago the day they came home from Ukraine. And he still remembered the flavor of the juice. Food is definitely a very big deal. Our relationships aren't as shaky as in those first months home, but because food is still so huge to them, we do need to be careful... (And know what? Liana just asked me for about the 5th time if I've forgotten that she was hungry for her lunch, and wondered if we were going to have it today.) (And, btw, I've NEVER forgotten to fix the kids lunch in all the months we've been home. I myself have an affinity for a full tummy, and had to explain that to her just now.) I should add, though, that food is NOT an issue for Leks. Never really has been, except for the texture-thing she had when she first came home that quickly wore off.

One day this spring, Adam was playing a video game and the girls were outside. Well, they came in and asked if our neighbor could give them a cookie (or whatever it was.) I said it would be ok, and instantly, Adam dropped the video game to go with his sisters to the neighbor's house for "his cookie." (HELLO! We have cookies here!) I should have stopped everyone dead in their tracks and fed them one of our kinds of cookies, but I think I actually let them all go. *sigh* Occassionally, when Adam is feeling sorry for himself, he'll ask me to make him cookies "right now." And if I say no, he'll go sulk. (If I let him, he would anyway... I don't allow complaining unless I don't notice it right away.) The funny thing is, that he usually waits until I'm up to my elbows in something else. Like during our move, come to think of it. Half of our kitchen was packed in boxes and we were using papter plates, etc. He asked me to make him cookies. What. Ever.

Ok, off the food talk. The rest of life around here is wonderful, and the food issue is actually sooooo hard to "see" that most of the wide world looking in on our family would see absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. No squirt-guns with red ink, no soap being used up in one day, the tp is lasting as long as it should, nobody scaring Mama to death with their crazy behavior. If it never gets better than it is right now, I'd have to say that I'd still be the luckiest mama in the world!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shelly
All of my kids (who came ranging between the ages of 3 and 9) have had issues with food - I used to think I heard 'I'm still hungry' 50x a day even after eating pancake, bacon, egg, fruit, yogurt and juice for breakfast and this was only 5 minutes later, and he was only 3. I also had a BIG problem with people giving gifts and treats - people thought they were being nice but it became ' X is sooo nice, they would buy me that. I wish X was here' in heinsight I did Birthday parties too soon, the behaviour before and after was appauling, expecting more and more and giving less (does that make sense?!).
I often wish I had been able to pull back more like you have done - homeschooling, not rushing into activities etc. However, the system was not support that and it was a mad rush into schools, extra curricular, visitations etc.
You are doing a wonderful job, you are still my inspiration. It is so great that you are honest about these issues so many people 'sugar coat (pardon the pun with today's post being about food and treats)'the journey after adoption.
Love to you, John, Adam, Liana and Aleksa. I was actually going to send them a parcel of books I have been collecting from last year for your homeschooling. I will wait until you feel the time is right, and if you want you could give them to them from yourself!
p.s. I am sooo happy about this drive - was out this evening getting a head start on shoes and undies!!!
Holly

Anonymous said...

Thanks for piping up, Holly, that was exactly what I was hoping to hear. Hopefully there will be others too that will speak up...

And did you say Books? I like books you know! ;O) If you have BOOKS for us, we'll just bring 'em in the back door... lol!

Speaking of, we're in the middle of a great book called, "Follow My Leader" about a boy who became blind and got a guide dog... Very good book. The kids have been closing their eyes walking all over the house since we started it. I should mention more often what we've been reading so others with kiddos can go check their libraries for them. Can't read to your kiddos too much! :O)

Thanks again, Holly, you have to be one of the most generous, selfless people I've ever met!

Anonymous said...

Shelly,

We have not really had an issue of others giving the kids candy (well since we took them out of public school!!). I take all the candy from Christmas and Easter baskets and put in one container and they eat very little of it. They still to this day will ask for apples, oranges, grapefruits, raisons, sunflower seeds, fresh spinache etc before they ask for the candy.

Food is still a big deal to them. Just tonight, Yules reminded me of her time in groupa when she said she cried because we loved her enough to bring her and Tet boiled eggs and an orange. WOW...........I didn't know she cried over that.

We are still dealing with the issues of who has more than them. Tet asked papa tonight how many boiled eggs he had, so she would know how many she could have. I had to tell her again, it makes no difference how many someone else has, she needs to eat till she is full not the quantity of someone else. They all still have this sense that someone will get something that they don't have. We keep reminding them that they haven't been hungry yet and neither will they be.

The girls wanted to camp out in the back of the blazer tonight. I said yes, papa said no it was too cold. Yules got upset, so I told her I would talk to him. He was gone when I told them they could so he had no idea of my reasonings to allow them to sleep all night lone in the back of the blazer. I told him, they would not stay, as soon as they realized how dark it would be and that the house doors would be locked and they could not come in until morning they would change their mind. So, we told them they could, they proceeded to load their stuff animals, flashlights, comforters and pillows to the vehicle. They were so proud to be so grown up!! I went to kiss them good night and explained they could not keep the blazer lights on and the porch light on. Well as soon as they say how dark it would be, they said, maybe we should sleep inside. I said, well you too discuss it and whatever you decide is all right. I then gave them some time to talk. Well, they decided to sleep inside!! Yules came up to me and said, Mom, thank you for letting us have some talk time so we could decide for ourselves. WOW...........I was lucky!!! Had they decided otherwise, I would have had to sleep in the back of the pickup to watch them!! Instead, they feel very grown up to have made their own decision.

Keep up the great work and remember we must get together. Hey, there will be a Ukrainian get together July 1st with the Hillebrands. They are Ukrainian missonaries that are from Wisconsin. You are all invited to attend.

Brenda

Anonymous said...

Oh, good, it's not just MY son who fills up and then suddenly is hungry again. And reminds me over and over and over that he is hungry (as I am making lunch in FRONT of him!). No, Max, we won't forget to feed you, honey! DH thinks the ample orphanage meals we saw were for "show" when they knew we were coming. He came home in the 8th percentile and is now 15 months later in the 80th. Sigh. The issues with "going hungry" for so long do have a long-term impact. I have an adult friend who grew up in an alcoholic home and would eat only rice and ramen noodles for WEEKS at a time... no money for food... he grew up to be in FOOD SERVICE... and he throws a great dinner party! Thank you for sharing your insights into your children's lives. Congratulations, my friend on 21 months home. I'll say it again... you are doing a WONDERFUL job! --L.

Missy said...

Shelly,
I think maybe I have been become too involved in your blog. :) I dreamed about you all last night. Not sure why...but I "saw" all of you just as clear as day. I'm not sure what we were doing other than just hanging out in your living room. I don't know if I ever dreamed about someone I didn't "know" in person. But, I guess I'm glad you were the 1st. I can't believe it has been 21 months that you have been home. I still remember finding your site a couple weeks before you left. I am so happy for all of you that you found each other!!
Missy

Anonymous said...

Shelly,

Hmmm,I'm wondering if people offering the kids treats, ect, is a regional thing. It doesn't really happen here except rarely. People are very conscious of allergies, for one thing. When we are at my teenagers sporting events,only sometimes will offer a snack to another child. But never candy and if anything, they offer a drink. An unspoken rule is that you first ask the nearby parent if they would mind. Still, it is more unusual than usual.

I think I probably have not structured meal time too well. I am definitely on the low blood sugar side and my personality deteriorates quickly without steady nourishment. So I'm always (too often)offering the kids stuff. So, they too can have zero tolerance for waiting to be fed. That's not so good.

One last observation - you are clearly a grateful person and I have a feeling that people just feel blessed by your grateful spirit. I know I love, love, love to give to people like yourself who don't take it for granted.

Your life is in many ways so different than my own that I find it particularly interesting. The only way a person could live on 40 acres around here would be if they were multi, multi, millionaries. Our church family, while incredibly Godly people, would not be anticipating a new person's needs like you have described. It's a different, possibly much more suspicious, way of life.

Still, it's our life and we are loving it. Be well!

NJ friend

Anonymous said...

Laurel, OOPS! Thanks for the heads-up with the typo. I fixed it. *blushes* I also just noticed a few others ("papter plates" for example), but I'm being lazy and don't want to fix those. ;O) That's what I get for typing when I'm already overtired!

Thanks also for posting about your little Max. Hunger is just something most of us can't comprehend. It's just so, so sad.

NJ Mom, yes, perhaps it is a regional thing to be giving snacks and treats to everyone else's kids. It happens everywhere, all the time here. I have to say, though, that if my kids didn't have their "issues" it never would have crossed my mind to think it was even questionable to do so. It's just what people do. It just doesn't "help" a child who idolizes food, and it therefore ruffles my feathers sometimes. (Especially when non-family near-strangers constantly have a pocketful of candy to hand out whenever they see the kids... I just can't compete with that! lol!)

As far as needing a bajillion dollars to live on a 45 acre farmhouse... well, I suppose it might to *own* it, but not to rent it - which is why we were so disappointed to have "lost" it by just a few minutes. My brothers and dad had already been making plans to come up hunting! Some day, maybe it'll work out... but now isn't the time, evidently!

Oh, and about your church family... Perhaps a lot of the difference is indeed a regional culture difference. There just plain is a difference between East Coast Culture, Southern Culture, West Coast, etc. I also know, though that there aren't a lot of churches HERE who would go out of their way to help people out as I've described. But, ya know, it just seems like *exactly* the kind of things churches should do for people, don't you think? It has certainly been a lesson for me personally about how big of an impact above-and-beyond, selfless love (even to strangers!) has on people. Those who live a debt of gratitude for all that Christ has done for them and invest their lives in caring for others are the kind of people I want to raise my children with, worship with, and grow with. It's been a lesson and a rebuke to me for sure... I have a loooooong way to go.

Anonymous said...

PS, Missy, you DREAMED about us? lol! You need some warm milk before bedtime or somethin, Girl! ;O) Soooo funny!