Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Papa of the Year

John is an awesome Papa. I knew it before, but last night clinched it.

He had an impromptu made-up game for all of us. The kids were each told to write *very* short messages to both of us parents. Then, when they were done, John took the messages to me, and he helped the kids write them out with their bodies laying on the floor. So, the letter L, for example, was Adam laying straight, and Liana laying perpendicular at his feet. Get the idea? Ok, well, I had to guess the messages, and then guess who wrote each one. Both the older kids wrote "I love Mama" on theirs. Can't remember what Leks wrote. But, when it was my turn to look at the messages for John, I had them write them out with their bodies standing up. (So, the letter T would be someone standing with their arms outstretched on each side). Anyway, the older two wrote "I love Papa" on theirs, but Leksa had more of an interesting secret code. She wrote, "Big dot pit." ?. *shrugs* Not sure what she meant by "Big dot pit," but John and I sure got a chuckle out of it.

THEN, it was OUR turn to have the kids figure out what we were writing. John and I took turns writing out "ICE CREAM." (You should see John Fisher trying to act out the letter E!) ;O) They carefully had those pencils going trying to figure out the word, and when they realized it said "ICE CREAM," they all asked, "Are we getting ice cream?" And when we nodded, they all shrieked with excitement! It was better than Christmas!

One of those sweet memories I'll have forever...

2 comments:

Missy said...

Shelly,
I think I want to live at your house! Sounds like you guys have lots of fun...reminds me of silly stuff my brothers and I did with our parents. (They had fun making us laugh!) Thanks for the mental images of John "contorting" his body to make the letters! :)
Missy

Anonymous said...

Shelly
Your blog isn't supposed to make me CRY! lol
So so so lovely - what a wonderful message. I especially loved how they had their pencils and were trying to work out what word you and John were making - what a super literacy game!!!!!!
Holly