Thursday, May 18, 2006

Shoe Drive Heads-Up

Many of you have asked about the Shoe Drive this year. We are definitely going to be sending another shipment to the kids' orphanage this year, and if you would like to add to it, you are more than welcome! We were all overwhelmed last year by the generosity of so many of you. I loved the lesson for my kiddos as well as the opportunity to help out. Several families had their kids go through their own closets and sent us their own shoes... and I think that is AWESOME. (You deserve "Great Mommy" awards for encouraging your kiddos to do that!) I'm definitely not opposed to sending used shoes, so if any of you are frequent yard-salers, we'll take whatever you find, but please don't make me scrub them up! lol! (But unless the undies are Pristine, I don't really want to pass along used panties... I did find some reallllllly nice heavy-weight high-quality undies for toddlers in a 2T last summer that I found at a yard sale, and didn't think twice about sending them.) Keep in mind that these undies are going to be Really Worn.

So! I thought I'd give a heads up about it again, and give a little more specifics on what the deal is... We'll be sending the package on August 17th, which is our "Home from Ukraine" anniversary. We're sending socks, undies and shoes. Please keep in mind that the orphanage we're sending this stuff to is for little kids from about 3-8. There are a few children on either end of that age spectrum, but most of the kids are this age. BUT. These kiddos are not the size of American kiddos this age. Our Liana was 6 when we brought her home, and she was just a little size 4 in her undies. Leksa was a size 3. Adam was about a size 7 or 8. So, I'm thinking for undies, I'd love to see a bunch of sizes between 2T-7. There will be more of a need for the smaller sizes because of accidents that littler kiddos inevitably have, especially when they have giardia. If you do happen to send larger sizes, that's fine, but, there aren't many children who are actually bigger than that.

Shoes are tricky too. I'd say sizes 6-13 would be good "target" sizes, but again, I'll send whatever you pass along! They will all undoubtedly be put to good use.

Some people also sent socks. During the winter time, the kids all wear tights. That's boys too. Adam wore tights even as a 9yo. They just all wear 'em. So, if you find warm tights anywhere at a garage sale this summer (can't really buy 'em in the stores right now), they'd also be well-appreciated.

Our new address is:

885 Fraser Lane Apt. B
Hudson, WI 54016

Thank you!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I missed this last year with the excitement of our Sydney being here for her first summer. I'm glad you posted it in advance because my family frequents garage sales and I'll pass on the word to them and have them stock up on any worth it deals. Also Sydney is in an 8 now, so I'm thinking we should have a ton of 6-7ish shoes around here!

Ranee

Anonymous said...

Okay Shelly,
I just ordered 10 pairs of shoes for the shoe drive. They should arrive by the middle of next week. Have fun collecting. If I come across good deals while out shopping here and there, I will send more.

Katie from TTC boards

Anonymous said...

LOL, good thing our new place has a garage! *bliss* I'm just not going to know what to do if I don't have to walk over piles of things all the time! :O) Thank you, thank you for wanting to contribute! You ladies are awesome!

Some day I want to hand deliver these packages... Much more satisfying to everyone that way. Give us a few years... I bet it'll happen... ;O)

Anonymous said...

I am excited already! I shall send an email out this week and can't wait to get some major shopping done again.
I have been looking forward to this drive since the last one. Yes, it would be wonderful to see them get the package in person. Shelly did you ever get any feedback from the last parcel? Do you keep in touch with the orphanage? I was thinking that it would be great if other adoptive families were around at that time to tell you all about it. Maybe I should try a travel date of late Aug and to that orphanage when the time comes! lol as if in adoption you can plan anything that specific!!!
Holly