Monday, May 29, 2006

Adam's scar, plus weekend odds and ends

We took a trip into The Cities today to pick up some clothes for the girls. They're growing like weeds and were in dire need of a few things. Good thing John drove. They had detours and construction and all kinds of nasty City Things. We wound up ditching our pre-printed directions altogether and just kinda winged it. Very thankful John drove. AND, we saw a Chipotle restaurant right next to the shopping area we went to. So, there's my hope that John will take me again sometime... we LOVE Chipotle! :O)

After our shopping expedition, the kids all had a water fight outside. It's super hot here, so it felt wonderful, I'm sure. John and I pretty much just vegged for the rest of the afternoon. Not a huge Memorial Day extravaganza, but it was alright.

Adam showed us a scar on his upper arm yesterday. We try not to ask about his scars - he has many - but if he offers up their stories here and there, we listen with pricked ears. This one, I had to laugh about. Evidently, he had been looking around the orphanage for his sisters, and when he found Aleksa (er, Zina), he picked her up. Well, the Little Missy didn't want to be picked up, so, she bit him. And hence the scar. And let me tell you, this is a HumDinger of a scar on his arm. Just goes to show how far Aleksa has come in these past few years. She was the Warrior Princess when we met. She even bit me *hard* on the shoulder when I put her on the potty at the apartment in Kiev on our way home. (She wanted to go potty "na ulitsa" - outside.) Yeah, RIGHT. So, I forced her on the pot, and she leaned forward and took a chunk out of my shoulder. Anyway, I had to laugh a bit looking at Adam's arm. Brought back memories for me too, as well as painted a picture in my brain of what Zina was like before she got herself a mama. ;O) (Too bad I can't bottle up into words what a sunshine girl she has become... she'd never dream of doing such a thing now!)

Oh! We met a family at church on Sunday who adopted a buncha kids. I can't WAIT to get to know these folks better. They have two absolutely beautiful older girls (like 14 and 10?) from Cambodia, a 4yo girl from Nepal, and a 2yo boy from China! They also homeschool their kiddos, so I'm anxious to compare notes, stories and share some support. I think both of our families were shocked and excited to have found each other!

Oh! And we met a Ukrainian lady yesterday too! She doesn't speak Ukrainian or Russian, but boy does she look and dress like one! Poofy hair (hope she never reads this), dressed up to the 9's, and with Adam and Liana's coloring. Also very typical Ukrainian facial features; almond-shaped brown eyes, etc.) Our kids offered to teach her Ukrainian. I thought that was cute since our kids know about 14 words! (Ok, maybe they *understand* more than that, and can pull out some vocabulary once in a while, but mostly it is gone). The kids said "Do pobachina!" to her when we left. (That's "Good bye," btw, but I have no idea how to spell it).

Anyway, that's the scoop so far. It was a pretty quiet weekend, but after all the moving fuss, we've been needing that around here lately!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The other day I was re reading some of your posts from the beginning about shy Liana - what a difference now eh?! I can't imagine sweet Aleksa biting!!!

Re your lovely comment on the 21 months home post, thanks but - I really am a regular "Jane" doing what I can, which most days I feel is nowhere near enough!!!
I shall send the books with the shoes and undies.

I too have had the experience lately of being humbled by kind Christians who are so welcoming; it has made me really pray/reflect on whether I would offer so much - fellowship, transportation, accomodation, friendship etc if I was put in contact with someone moving to my area. I feel every now and then Christ reminds me what it is to be a believer - that YES you need to believe in salvation through Him but you (I think) also need to make a conscious effort to show it in all of your actions (I think sometimes we forget this). I am really really going to try to make more of an effort to show that ALL my actions take place because of following Him and Christ's teachings about love, kindness, righteousness etc.

So happy that you continue to meet more and more families with children born into their hearts. It really is such a special way to become a family.

Holly