Wednesday, September 27, 2006

New Tastebuds, New Shoes

The kids are turning over new leaves. What they used to love, love, love, they are suddenly deciding they don't like, hate, or don't want.

For example, until recently, the kids LOVED pickles. Remember me telling about how they'd even drink the brine? Well, they have all three decided that they don't like them anymore. I can get them to eat bread-and-butter pickles occasionally, but for the most part, they're pretty much turning up their noses to them. I'm thinking it has to do with the neighbor girl... who was *completely* grossed out by pickles. Well, she's got a different "food culture" at her house, so she probably hadn't even ever seen them before, but after that incident, our kids have decided they're ugly green nasty things.

Also, Adam is becoming *slowly* more selective as far as what he likes and how much of it. (I might have blogged this before; if so, oops! I just happened to think of it after talking about the pickels.) He doesn't like spaghetti, though he will eat it up if he's hungry. But, unfortunatly that new leaf had to be discovered when we were invited to someone's house for dinner and the hostess announced the menu. Adam (our theatrical Adam), was rather expressive in telling her how disgusting spaghetti was and how he hated it and it made him sick, etc. *SIGH* (We had a loooooong talk about that on the way home, lol!) We're thrilled he's not eating *anything* anymore, but he's gotta figure out some manners in the process! lol! (Being a mom is often Mortifying!)

Liana is on a roll as far as a growth spurt. This summer her feet jumped from a size 3 girls, to a size 6 1/2 womens! We just bought new shoes again recently, and as I was looking for shoes to fit her in the kids' section, I kept wondering where the "bigger" shoes were. I almost passed out when I realized that there WERE NO bigger kids' shoes! I got all light-headed walking over to the womens' section! She's just *too* ready for high heels as it is! WAAAAAHHHH!

Speaking of shoes, Leks can tie hers now! I broke down and bought her tie shoes for the first time ever, and she and Papa have been having nightly lessons. John has a "new-fangled" way of tying shoes that I'd never seen before, but she's learned really quickly doing it this way. I call it "Samurai-shoe-tying." I'll see if I can find a link for it later. It's pretty slick!

3 comments:

Calico Sky said...

Shelly
man oh man are they becoming americanized turning their nose up at food! Betcha never thought you'd see the day!?!?!?
Spagetti story gave me a good laugh.
After your post about pickles when they first came home, I could never look at pickle juice in the same way. The thought of your 3 drinking it...man it tured my stomach!
Glad to hear they are being more selective, however many friends have to hear the ins and outs of how gross food is ;-)
Kathryn

Anonymous said...

Ahh, welcome to no-girls-land in the world of shoes!!!! My 10 and 11 year old are now in an 8 and 9, and yikes, it's hard to find decent flat/mostly flat shoes that don't look like they are trying to look all grown up! At least flats are IN now, so buy them while you can! (And, sorry to tell ya, you can't have your girls' shoes MATCH, now, boo hoo). The day will come soon when their clothes can no longer match (unless you custom make them) so enjoy that for the time being! --Laurel in Tulsa

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow, Laurel, an 8 and 9?!!! Wow! That's B.I.G.! How's that mama heart of yours holding up over that?

You're right - no more matching shoes... :O( *Sniffle, sniffle* At least I still have one little girl to buy Pink Sparkle Shoes for! (But, unfortunatly, not for long!!!)