Saturday, September 02, 2006

Peaches and package

What a busy week. Anyone out there do any canning? I never had before this week, and *whew* am I exhausted! I have a friend who hooked me up with 50 lbs. of Michigan peaches. Yum-my! But! The thing about 50 lbs of peaches is that they just sit there and start to rot unless you eat 'em, or can 'em. Well, I can't eat that many, so I had to learn how to can.

I tried a batch on my own, and they sorta flopped, so I asked a lady from church to give me some pointers and she offered to come over. I then found out that this lady is a home economist. She went to school at the U of M for it, and has had a newspaper column, done radio talk shows, etc. Ok, can I just say, I sorta freaked! lol! I'm no Martha Stewart, and yet I invited one over?!!! She's a sweetheart of a lady, and I shouldn't have been stressed out by her coming, but I have to say, my house is Spic and SPAN right now. I even cleaned my fridge and oven out! (That's pretty "whoa" around here...) ;O)

Well, anyhow, my peaches are Canned... and I have a week to learn (this time via books at the library!) how to can pears. I had 25 lbs of those delivered here yesterday. Oy.

By the way, the Ukraine package is off safe and sound. I ran out of steam for going off and mailing it when we couldn't do it "on the day" it was supposed to. (Holly, yes, I did get your package - and the postcard! Thank you so much!) (If there are any other families who adopted from Bilgorod-Dnistrovsky too, please email me... I found a cheap way of getting donations there!)

3 comments:

Missy said...

When I was a kid, we had apple trees. I remember helping my mom can apples, applesauce, and apple butter. It was a lot of work, but having "free" apple stuff in the winter was kinda cool. Not to mention VERY yummy. But then again, we canned quite a bit. My dad was a hunter and we used to can venison when he got a deer. One of my dad's co-workers gave us cucumbers...so pickles were on the menu. I can't wait until I have some land so that I can have some fruit trees and a nice garden. Although, I wonder if canning will be as fun to me now as it was then. :)
Missy

Anonymous said...

Wow, Missy! I just might have to call you up for some canning advice sometime! I'd LOVE a hunk of land so we could have a big garden. I could get into that... What did you do with the canned meat? (As in what kind of cuts, and how did you fix it for meals, etc.?) I might get some more venison (hoping to anyway!) this fall. I had last year's dear mostly ground into burger. It has been so nice to have! Just wondering what other options there are other than freezing it!

How's your adoption fund coming along, Missy? Been praying for you to get those nickels saved up!

Missy said...

Savings is coming along really well. Doing the same craft fair in November that I've done for the last 2 years. And trying to get into another one. I have TONS of stuff made, so if I don't get a 2nd fair, I'm not sure what to do with all the extra stuff. The venison that we canned was pretty much everything but the good steaks. We just cut it into chunks and put it into the cans. If I'm not mistaken, we boiled them for 4 hours or something like that. We used it as a sort of gravy with mashed potatoes and biscuits. As an adult, I realized that I could add bbq sauce and some cooked onions and since the texture comes out sort of like pulled pork or pulled beef, it made great sandwiches. I've also used it to make a sort of stew. With all the spices and veggies, it tasted like beef stew to me. I'm sure there are other uses, but I like the few ways I have made it that I haven't experimented. YUMMY!
Missy