Monday, September 18, 2006

United Nations Neighborhood

I don't remember if I blogged about this one or not. If I did, please just forgive my senility. I'm getting old, according to my 8yo...

A few weeks ago Liana painted two pictures for the fridge. One was a portrait of John, and the other of me. She got a bit creative though, and painted me with blue skin and a red dot on the forehead, and John was red with blue hair.

Little Rishi from across the street (whose family is from India) was over the day after she made it, and she obliviously pointed out to Rishi that she had painted me like I was from India, with a red mark on the forehead. She started telling him about India when I reminded her whom she was speaking with. Rishi is just Rishi to her. Not "Someone From India." Just the neighbor boy who is her friend. I thought that was pretty cool. Rishi never said a word. He was probably wondering why the painting of "Someone From India" had blue skin!

We like to talk about different kinds of people in our house... so, it was pretty cool that "different" was so "normal" that it never crossed her mind that her friend might "be" different. I loved that.

We've also been having fun getting to know our African neighbors better. (They are from West Africa). We've all been able to watch as the Mrs. did her daughters' hair... that was really interesting for the kids learning how different people have different types of hair, etc. We have been able to watch as they put extensions in their hair, and another time as they decided to straighten their hair, etc. Both of my girls are Completely Jealous that their friends can have long, hip-length hair overnight! I sure would have loved the opportunity to have been able to watch that stuff as a girl. We even had the mom from West Africa come over this summer and teach us how to make peanutbutter stew - which is an African dish. She dressed in a traditional African costume, and really went all out for us. It was awesome! I'm so glad we're where we are right now to be able to desensitize the kids to future stereotypes or prejudices. Right now, these are just our friends and neighbors - some of whom look a little different from us, but are mostly just the same.

Yup, I really like it where we are... great neighborhood, fabulous view, nice home... All I miss is a garden and some critters, and I'd never want to leave!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your new neighbourhood sounds wonderful, what a priviledge to live amongst nations from all over the world. Any new neighbourhood would seem pretty boring now!
Kathryn