Thursday, August 21, 2008

Busy summer!

Don't know about anyone else, but this summer has been the busiest summer of my life! Every single weekend except one has been filled with trips or visits of some kind. (Not all the fun kind either~ lots of extra trips to take care of my parents' estate.) Looking forward to a calmer September, although with school starting it will be far from "calm" around here! Then I'm hoping to get lots of company in October and November!

It has been "peach" season at our house. Lots of canning, freezing, and making peach butter out of 100 lbs. of peaches. Very glad to be done with that for the year! My poor kitchen has probably never been stickier! It has been fun to have the chance to do it though. I've had access to all kinds of fruit again this summer, and my freezer and pantry are full again. I have strawberries, blueberries, bing cherries, pie cherries, apricots, and peaches. I still have plums and pears from last year. I've also made lots of jam and jelly this summer - we go through a lot! Our "pie cherries" come pitted in a bucket and frozen... After I put up the cherries, (made some cherry pie filling), I took the juice from them and made the most DELICIOUS cherry jelly! Never had that before, but oh, it is good (if you like cherry pie, that is!)

Actually got a good night's rest last night.. Baby only up twice. The night before, Abby was up three or four times (she cut another tooth yesterday!), and then Liana had nightmares and woke me up twice to tell me about them. I was rather a zombie yesterday. All I accomplished was some laundry and scrubbing down my kitchen (again)... Otherwise, I sat around in the back yard playin' with the kids. Abrielle loves it outside, and the kids love it when Mama watches their tricks. Even swung on the rope swing yesterday. That seat is still hard on the tushie, though now I'm the only one who thinks so. Adam asked if it was because my bottom is "so much bigger" than everyone else's. I used to really like that kid.

Hope everyone has a great day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree about this summer. It has been one of the busiest ones for us too. The weekends are filled and the rest of the week is filled with work. I am looking forward to things hopefully settling down in September, also.

Glad that you got all of your peaches done. Mine are done too, but I only had half as much. They are very good. I will have to get your peach butter recipe from you. It sounds good.

Sorry, Shelly, but I just had to laugh about the swing. Glad that you got to enjoy it too though, or at least I hope so.

Love you all so much.
Mom