Thursday, August 28, 2008

Backyard haven



It's been a while since I had a picture of all four kiddos on here. It's hard to get 'em all in one spot, actually. But in the evenings, if there's fair weather, and not much going on, we try to all hang out in the back yard. It's my favorite place on the planet. Before living here, we really haven't had a "back yard" so to speak. The last place we lived had a fabulous front yard, and even woods on both sides of us. But nobody really played "in the back."

A front yard is great and all, but hanging in the front yard means to the world, "Come on over and talk to us!" Which is WONDERFUL. But, it means fewer chances to hang out as a family and know it will be "just us." Our last yard was the neighborhood hang out in many ways, and while I loved that, I do admit that my introverted self really loves the privacy of this back yard haven.



I love a nice fire, and I love squealing kids, and I love catching my oldest boy going ga-ga all over his baby sister, and I love rope swings that hurt fannies. (Ok, well, I love watching everyone ELSE on said rope swing...)



Anyway, nights like this one will be what I reflect back on when I'm eighty remembering "the good old days." It won't be too long before my kids are all grown up. *sniff, sniff*, but meanwhile, I'm going to relish every spare second outside with my family.

Go hug someone. Time is short...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shelly,
Love the pictures. I picked out Adam right away, playing with his baby sister. My absolute favorite times are when it's just the four of us around our fire, or in the car, or at home around the dinner table. These are precious times.
Cath
p.s. October is pretty booked for us. We only have Friday evenings and Sundays free. Maybe November?

Anonymous said...

Having been a witness to the back yard haven activities, I can add that there is no exaggerating here. Check out the worn grass around the fire pit, swing, etc. The place is LOVED!! Honest, sitting there in the back yard, a person could very easily just cry thinking about how wonderful life is now for the little Fisher crew. Makes a person shudder to even THINK of what their life would have been like if Shelly and John had not gone and found their babies in Europe.

I think that Adam's changes are the most exquisite. He is the sweetest boy, and his heart beats gold. See him with Abby? That is how he really is with everyone. He has the most human compassion of any boy (especially his age) I have met. You see it in his eyes, how he wants to make all right with the world, and keep everyone's nest feathered with the warmest of love. I could go on and on, but don't want to get choked up again.

You two keep up the good, good work. You are the best mama and papa! You are the definition of the phrase "take time to smell the roses."

I loved you first! Sharon

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures. Thank you for sharing. They're getting really big.

I love being outside with an open fire. That brings back great memories. Thanks again for the wonderful blog.

Lori
Myadoptionforms.com

Shelly said...

Cath, what does September look like for you guys? I'd love to see if we can make this work somehow!! Some Friday maybe?

Sharon, thank you - that was nice...

Lori, they're getting way toooooo big! Wish there was a pause button so I could enjoy them at this phase for lots longer. They're all just a blast right now.

Anonymous said...

Oh, such splendor and such love abounds! Adam, Liana, Aleksa, and Abrielle have yet to realize how wonderful their Mama and Papa truly are. I tear up just thinking of the six of them thoroughly enjoying the amazing life that God has given them together. I am so thankful to be a part of them and to receive so much joy and love from them. The joy you express because of your family togetherness thrills me deeply - to my core!

Love you all so much!
Mom

Ruth said...

What a GREAT pic! Wow! Please tell me it was posed - I mean the 3 girls are even color coordinated. :-) That pic is a definite "keeper." I can't believe how grown up the three oldest look. Wow have they changed during the years since they came home. And I can't believe how much hair your little girl has. She's a beauty! What fun it must be to style that head of hair. :-) She's so blessed to have a brother and sister who love her soooo much!