Tuesday, June 20, 2006

22 Months Home

I sorta missed the 22 Month Home post. Oops. We were away for the weekend (went back home to see our dads for Father's Day.)

But! I thought I'd post some pictures I took on Friday. I'm sending off a bunch of pictures with the kids' yearly report, (which I'm sending early since we just moved). (Btw, a yearly report is the report we have to send to the Ukrainian Consulate to update them on the kids' welfare: health, accomplishments, personality development, etc.) I had the top pic made into an 8x10 for our mantel. Just love it!

Not sure what to say about the kids... We're all getting to the point where we're just not analyzing them like we used to. Though I should mention that Aleksa, who started sounding out words on her own at Christmas time, is now reading at about the second grade level right now! Never, ever thought she'd have had this easy of a time in school from what we knew of her when we first brought her home. Remember how worried I was that she was, um, well, You Know... ;O) I'm so happy to say I was dead wrong about her! She's a little smartie!


My buddy Adam came through for John for Father's Day just what he gave me; He told John he was thankful that we adopted him and launched into his "what if" story of what would have happened if we hadn't adopted him - on Father's Day no less. He has such a tender heart. He also has been talking more and more about the boys left behind at the orphanage. "What if they don't get adopted?" Those questions were tough on ME to ask, so I can't imagine how a boy of 11 is processing that one. He has several times asked me to stop everything and pray with him for those boys. He was practically in tears each time, and I don't need to tell you how they left me!

Liana! Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I'll just let it tell you how she's doing! :O) She's loving the new neighborhood and woods. We just saw a deer on Sunday night right across the street from us in this very field where she and the others are standing. She's been a busy, happy little girl this summer. The girls in the neighborhood are really nice, and she's slightly older than a few of them, and has (much to her delight) developed quite a following... ;O)

Well, this is our Lolly. I call her that because it is short for Lalichka, or la-la which means "baby." She's got a loose upper front tooth, and I choke up every time I think of it coming out. She's not s'posed to ever get big! I made her pose for dozens of pictures out on the lawn the other night when she told me it was loose enough to maybe come out. I even took a video of her. I don't want that dumb tooth to come out. Why, oh why can't children stay forever five?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Shelly,
I hope you remember me. I had told you were we looking into foster care/adoption. We have been trying to conceive for 4 years. Anyway I love those pics and have been waiting for a post. I check your blog daily. Please keep us in your thoughts because our homestudy begins in August and we should have it completed sometime in November. We have found some children already that we are interested in. One set of the siblings are 2 boys and a girl and they are the same age range as your kids when they were adopted. We are nervous about getting an older child but you have inspired me and let me know it can be done and they will turn out to be happy kids.

Anonymous said...

Bridget! Congratulations on finally hopping off the ttc train! *shiver* How incredibly exciting to be able to start the homestudy process soon! - And you already have a sibling group in mind?! That's awesome! And a threesome! Cool! Please keep me posted, ok? I'd love to hear how things turn out. (Just remember, that first year home isn't all that great of an indication of how things are turning out! lol!) Older kids are wonderful, you'll have a blast! You'll be blissfully exhausted every night! I'll never forget what my friend Brenda said to me when I asked her if I was nuts for thinking of wanting three... She said, "Yes, Shelly, you are nuts. But the world needs more nuts!"

My very best wishes to you and your husband!

Anonymous said...

Shelly,
Thanks for the warm wishes. There are actually 2 sets of 3 siblings that we are looking into but as you know it doesn't mean you will be able to get them. Many families put in their words and then they choose who they think is best so it is still a long shot but we know that God will allow us to have who he feels is right and that we most definitely can accept. Can I email you somewhere so I can keep you updated? I really don't like posting everything here. Thanks again for being such an inspiration not only as a new momma :) but also as a Christian lady.

Anonymous said...

Bridget, my email addy is: shelly@johnandshelly.net Please email me any time, I'd love to hear from you!

(Btw, there is much drama happening over here... Susie got out last night and we've just finally noticed it. She's G-O-N-E and the kids are ripping up my house before my eyes. Gonna be a long day at our house, I'm afraid!)

Marnie said...

Uh-oh, I hope she turns up soon! It's so nice to see such happy pictures of your kids. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Oh Shelly that top photo is priceless...what an incredible reflection of how loved and happy your 3 kiddos are. :-) Ruth