Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Real Moms

Just have a quick breakfast time story that I HAVE to write down quick...

The kids always refer to their birth mom as "Mama Zhana." Well, this morning, Liana said to me, "Mama, she's not really my mama, I shouldn't call her that." I waited to hear what she was going to say. "I already have a real mama, and that's you. She's more like a step-mother or something, but you are our real mama."

After I teared up and gave her a big hug and kiss, I sat her down and told her that it was ok to call her Mama Zhana because she'll always be a part of her, and that I knew she loved her very much. I also told her that I was glad that she loved me, and that I was also glad that she loved Mama Zhana, because that meant that there was an awful lot of love in her heart. At that, she smiled really big and gave me a big hug.

4 comments:

Missy said...

Dear Shelly,
Isn't it strange that people (primarily adults) outside adoption situations refer to biological parents as the "real" parents? Yet your little one truly understands what a "real" parent is. Absolutely and totally amazing! Thanks again for your wonderful posts. They mean more than you could ever realize!
Missy

Anonymous said...

Hi Shelly and John,

It was good to see you last Sunday. I tried a couple of times to come over and talk to you but there was always someone else there and we were headed south to Steve's folks for Father's Day so we needed to get going as well.

I hope you got our simple banner we made you! My Seth does miss your kids and the "science" class.

It sounds like you all are adjusting well to your new home. I hope you are finding a good Church where you can also serve the Lord. You and John have a lot of talent to offer a church!

God bless you,
Sherri

Anonymous said...

Missy, ya know, I think that very same thing. Kids are SO much smarter than adults sometimes!

Anonymous said...

What a selfless and mature mother you are to give Liana permission to love you both.

You know, I looked at the photos recently posted and thought again how your kids physical being has transformed in your care.

I don't know if this is not pc but my teenager has said this a number of times...

- about his sister (my dd) and it's so true with your children, as well - " Can you imagine if she had been left in the orphanage? What a waste!"


NJ Mom