Monday, May 21, 2007

Tagged!

Groan! Someone just tagged me on their blog and I'm supposed to write 8 random habits/facts about myself, and then tag 8 more people to do the same. I won't say who, because she is very private about who knows/has access to her blog.

But I have a confession... I don't read a lot of blogs... so I'm not sure I can come up with that many! And to think of 8 people who read MY blog to KNOW that they're tagged... uff, it's a stab in the dark.

So. Lemme think. Uh. I must have some random facts or habits around here somewhere...

1. I must, repeat must fall asleep with my right arm thrown over my eyes. Really bad for my eyes, and I've tried to break the habit, but alas, I've been doing it too long. And while my right arm is slung over my face, my left hand rests on my tummy and my feet are crossed at the ankles.

2. I'm much more shy and reserved in person than you might think by reading this blog. I can rarely think of anything to say in person... and social gatherings tend to stress me out. Much rather write than speak.

3. Oh, here's one. I have hazel/green eyes, but alllll growing up my mom always bought me blue pajamas "to match my eyes." It drove me batty. She had blue eyes, and several of my siblings do, but mine aren't. But she swore they were. So, in college, I bought myself a set of GREEN jammies. And threw away my blue. !. (I was such a rebel, lemmetellyawhat!)

4. I'm the youngest of 7. Well, actually 9. Two brothers died as infants. I was the "whoops" baby of the family - Mom and Dad were "done" having kids for 14 years when I strolled along. So, really, I was an only child with a bunch of siblings that were up and out by the time I could remember much. I guess that's why I've always wanted a big family. I missed a lot, and was frankly rather lonely... (though all my sibs think I lucked out instead.) (The grass is always greener, isn't it?)

5. I don't really like "Stuff." I don't have any fancy collection of teapots or ceramic birdies, or whatever. (Do you know you have to DUST that stuff?!) The things I have that don't "do" anything but are just for show are few and far between in my house. Just a few keepsakes - precious few, and boy, they'd better be Pre-Cious. Pictures on the other hand, aren't "stuff." They're treasures. "Stuff" just has too much of a tendency to take over my life and swallow my house. So, I'm extra careful on what I bring into the house. Not having a basement in anyplace we've ever lived has really been a valuable lesson for me. I can't "hoard" stuff because there isn't room, so I only keep things that are meaningful (VERY meaningful!), or useful.

6. I hated, was freaked out by, and refused to learn for the longest time, anything about computers. I figured I'd poof them if I touched them. Avoided them like the plague. Then I married John Fisher, Computer Geek Extraordinaire. Fought it for a year or two, and then he plunked me down in front of ours and made me learn on my own. Grrr. And I was hooked in no time. And he had to buy me my own. :O)

7. I'd love a garden. Veggie garden. I'd love to have a root cellar full of canned goods (not tin cans, I'm talkin' the glass quart jars Grandma always had...), and fruit trees galore. And a strawberry patch. And maybe a couple chickens in the yard. Or more than a couple. (For the freezer). ;O)

8. And last but not least.... I have a perfect record in Skeet Shooting. I was dragged out with a shotgun once and told to smash a clay pidgeon. There was a big group of us and I was mortified. (See Number 2). But, being a good sport, I followed the directions and did what they said. And I smashed that clay pidgeon in a million pieces. Best shot of anyone there. And after my turn, I handed back the gun and declared that I'd never do it again - didn't want to mess up my perfect record! lol!


Whew, glad that was over with. How stressful! ;O)

I tag Ruth, Missy, Kate (though I KNOW you're swamped, so don't worry about it!), Jodi, Julie... and isn't that sad, but those are the only blogs that I read and have a feeling I'm being "read" in return... I don't get out much, I'm tellin' ya.... (or else not enough of ya tell me that you're out there reading...!)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course we're out here reading! Was worried about you since you hadn't posted in a while. OK, so it's only been a week, but that's a big stretch of time out here in blog reading land! Enjoyed your random facts very much! : ) --Laurel in Tulsa

Missy said...

I am so honored! I have never been tagged before! Now I've gotta think...8 things huh? :)

Anonymous said...

Shelly,

It's been FOREVER since I read here, my favorites list got smoked a while back, but somehow I was able to revive it a few days ago. I have really missed a lot!!! Congratulations (even though that seem WAAAAAYYYYYY understated!!)

I also agree wholeheartedly about the mothers day agony for women who haven't yet joined the "ranks" I was there a while back myself (9 kids ago) and I remember how painful those several mother's days were when I was trying to conceive and not able. I think it would have been grand if you had made your stand (or rather your "sit")!!!! I think folks that haven't been there just can't grasp what that practice does to women who want so badly to be a momma!

Anyway, I'm praying for God's grace for you as you befriend your bucket, reassure your children, and try not to obsess about whether or not you will get to meet this precious one here on earth! I do like the name Bonnie!!! God Bless!!!!

~Lori in KY

Shelly said...

Lori, good to see your name pop up again! Thanks for the well-wishes! Nine kiddos! Wow! You are so blessed!

The lady who "tagged" me on her blog has 15 kids. Amazing to me how anyone can balance all the work that goes along with raising that size of a family. But she's supremely organized and disciplined, and is wise enough to delegate!

Thanks for saying hello, and give all your kiddos a squeeze...

~Shelly

Tami said...

I'm out here reading your blog...and enjoying every minute of it. :)

Marnie said...

I'd do it, but my blog doesn't have that kind of personal stuff on it. (It's sort of a nature-lover's blog. Y'all are welcome to visit, of course.)

The first time I hit a golf ball I warned everyone that if I happened to get a hole-in-one I was going to quit right then and there and never play again. Fortunately, it wasn't a problem. :)

Tamera said...

your on my favorites and I check almost daily. So keep blogging..we are out here! I don't have a blog otherwise I would share it with ya.

Kelley G said...

I have followed your journey to your children since before you travelled.

As a fellow adoptive mom, your stories warm my heart.

Congratulations on your newest one.

Shelly said...

Thanks you guys for posting your blogs... I've been really having fun today getting to know you all! :O)

Shelly

Ruth said...

I'm honored I was tagged, LOL! I will post my 8 things tonight. :-)