Friday, May 04, 2007

Thankful to be adopted


I was going through some old family pictures recently, and came across a picture of my great-grandmother. She was no beauty. !. Liana happened to come into the room curious what I was doing. She looked over my shoulder and asked who that was.
When I told her it was Grandma Mable, she asked me if I was going to look like that when I got old. I told her it was a possibility... That we were related, afterall. She grimaced, feeling sorry for me. (I even got a hug).

Then I explained that sometimes being adopted is an extra blessing... There's no chance she'll have Grandma Mabel's nose and ears unless her birthgrandparents looked like her too. I reminded her of how beautiful Ukrainians were. She was visibly relieved! ;O)
I think she now has a new appreciation for being adopted... LOL

4 comments:

Marnie said...

Heh, I used to think that way when I was a teenager and I hated my mother. "At least I'm not related to her!!!!!"

Anonymous said...

Now the dear gramdma is not that bad looking. If you grow up to look like her Shelly, if I am still around I will still love you and the way you look. (And so will Liana!)

Love,
Mom

Calico Sky said...

I think she is really sweet looking!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey! I took that picture! I am Shelly's (much!)older sister. I used to take care of our great-grandmother when she was in a nursing home during her final years. This picture was taken in 1976. Grandma lived to be just short of 100-years-old. She was a spit-fire! Look at her eyes. See the mischief? Trust me, she was not afraid to make mischief whenever she got the urge. She may have been sort of funny-looking, but she was who she was. I sort of look like her myself, with my big nose. (The "Family Curse") only my nose is not QUITE as big as hers. If I can live as long and healthy a life as she did, I will be happy to look just like her - as long as I can still pull pranks on people and be happy! :o)