Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Domestic Bliss



It has been quiet around here, hasn't it? I've been trying to keep my internet time down to during "baby feedings" - but I've quickly discovered that typing with one hand is rough. I decided this morning to put Abby in her swing while I checked my mail and my favorite websites so I can finally start writing more than one sentence here and there.

Almost done Christmas shopping. Still stumped on a few people, but the kids, I'm thrilled to say, are finished! John says he's never letting me shop solo again! I sorta had a good time. ;O) (At Fleet Farm; gotta love that Toy Land!) He gasped pretty heavy seeing everything in the trunk and back seat, but just between you and me, I know he's just as excited as I am about seeing the kids open presents this year. *wink*

A few ladies looked at my cart and lamented that they didn't have any girls to buy for this year. I wasn't cruel enough to tell them I had THREE girls -and a boy! but it did make my heart smile to realize I got to have fun buying stuff for both genders... Just a few short years ago, I didn't have any kids at all to buy for... so, I'm definitely making up for lost time, especially with the realization that my kids aren't going to be asking for dolls and toy cars for much longer. Gotta git while the gittin' is good, as Dad always says! :O)

Yesterday I spent the day doing school with the kids, wrapping presents and helping the girls clean their rooms. Uff was it a PIT. We pulled out a huge garbage bag full of junk from their room, and packed away two garbage bags full of toys. Hopefully their rooms stays a little more manageable this way. It was pretty evident that their mama was out of commission for a long time - I hadn't helped them "deep clean" their rooms for months and months and months. Between morning sickness at the early end of the pregnancy, and Big Belly Syndrome at the end, well, I had to let them fend for themselves too long. We still have yet to do their closets. (They have two). That will be today's project.

Abby is now sleeping pretty well at night. John stays up with her until her first feeding which is anytime between 12-1:30, and then she's good til morning. Big relief to be able to get caught up on some sleep around here! :O)

The older kids are loving having the baby around. Liana knocked on my door yesterday while I was wrapping presents and asked if she could "hold the Princess." She is definitely treated like royalty around here by Everyone! No sibling rivalry toward this little one at all - only toward each other over who gets her next!

The other afternoon, John and the kids were outside working on their snow fort, (an on-going project around here), and Adam happened to be near the livingroom window. I was in the kitchen cooking and didn't want Abby to get spattered on, so I had to leave her alone in the livingroom for a while - which she hates - and which she fusses about. Adam heard her crying from outside, left his Much Beloved Snowtime, came inside, got his coat and boots off, and promptly picked Abby up to comfort her. He just adores his little sis.

Leks needs to be more aggressive about Abrielle Time... she has a hard time elbowing in through her older siblings to get at her. She loves to help change her clothes, hold her, talk to her, etc... of course, that's only when her older sibs, Mama, and Papa aren't already doing so. :O)

Haven't gotten out much since Baby has been born, but I love these hunker-down winter days anyway. I love having hot chocolate ready on the table for my snow fort builders, and I love turning on the tree lights early in the morning and early at night. Nice and peaceful. And now that there is also a baby to snuggle on these chilly days too... ah, bliss.

2 comments:

vodkamartini said...

I love that picture.

You can just SEE Adam is the most awesome big brother in the world!

Lucky girls, not so lucky boys in a few years :)

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Isn't this a great picture of Adam with Abrielle! When you sent it to me before it made me cry. It shows so much love. Adam is a wonderful big brother. Abrielle doesn't know how fortunate she is to be placed in such a love filled home.

And I agree, Shelly. It is an awful lot of fun shopping for SIX grandchildren now. SIX!!!! Now how much fun is that!!! I can hardly wait to see the excitement on their faces.

Love you,
Mom