Sunday, December 09, 2007

Meeting Grandpa

Saturday we were finally able to drive "back home" and show off our new little girl to my dad and brother and sister-in-law. That was a LONG month of not being able to show my kid to *anyone* in my family. John's parents and siblings have seen her, but nobody on my side had yet with the distance, and the sicknesses we've had floating around here this month. With my dad's immune system we just plain had to wait until every last one of us was completely well before we came anywhere near him.

Anyway, how fun! My dad took one look at her and said she looked just like his sister Della. !. Not what I was expecting, but it was fun anyway. Abby was super bright-eyed by the time we got to Dad's house, and it was fun to see her staring at Grandpa as much as he was eyeballing her! lol! Dad said next time we come, she'll already know him because she was studying him so long and hard.

The drive down and back was sure interesting with an infant. Uff Da. Talk about extending an already-long trip! It was the first time I'd wished that we were bottle-feeding! (That ain't happening, btw!)

On Friday the kids and I did "cooking day" for Grandpa at our house, and then took it with us instead of cooking it there as usual. Dad must have close to eighty meals in his freezers now. He was rather neglected for a few months there. *sigh* He was sure happy to see the food start rolling in... Spaghetti dinners, Aleksa's Famous Meatloaf, chili, goulash, polish sausage, etc. Plus dinner rolls, desserts, veggies, etc. We even left him a package of lefse! (That's good stuff to us midwesterners! *wink*)

Adam and John and my brother (also a John), took care of Dad's iced and snowed in driveway while the girls swept and mopped and my sister-in-law and I assembled meals onto individual plates.

The only bad part of the trip was that Abby got her days and nights switched because she slept so hard and long in the van. She was up almost all night, and I am a zombie again. I could almost throw up I'm so tired. (Last night's missed sleep combined with the missing sleep from the night before plus alllll the work we've done in the last few days have wiped me out.) I haven't missed so much church since before college. No wonder I never know what day it is anymore! lol!

My sister Sharon is planning on making a trip up here this week... I sure hope the weather cooperates. The kids are sooooo looking forward to seeing her, plus Abby is getting bigger every day - she's gotta see her before she outgrows her newborn clothes! lol!

4 comments:

Ruth said...

So glad you were able to introduce your little princess to your Dad! Hope you get some sleep soon!! I have slept sooo much these last few weeks - 10 hours last night! I know that won't be the case this summer. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Your Dad looks like he has a lovely wise soul! How lovely to have such a special family picture! Glad to hear feedings going well, even if it makes for longer car journeys! lol :0

Anonymous said...

oops, sorry forgot to say that comment above was from me, Kate
http://aspecialfamily.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

What a lovely picture!! Your dad looks healthy. He reminded me of my grandpa. I am praying for him and also for your family. ^-^
In His love,
Ya