Saturday, December 15, 2007

Visit from Auntie Sharon!




We had a super visit from Auntie Sharon this week!!! She was brave enough to take the four hour drive all by herself in the dead of winter in Wisconsin... I was so proud of her!!! We would have missed out on a really, really nice time if she had chickened out.

Of course the main attraction was meeting Abrielle, but she also had some great bonding time with my older crew. She had them making candy! They got to dip pretzels, peanuts and marshmallows in chocolate and almond bark. I also got a tutorial on making Mom's popcorn balls. (I never have good luck with a candy thermometer, and she taught me how to make them without having to use one of those at all.) We had a BLAST. The kids probably ate more than they should have, but oh well. ;O) They just couldn't believe that Sharon was going to LEAVE all that good candy here and not take a single piece home with her. Aleksa must have asked her four or five times if she was SURE she wasn't going to take any home with her. lol!

Auntie also came with PRESENTS! They each got cool fleece blankets. While they were a big hit with all three kids, Aleksa opened hers and said, "A magic carpet!!!" and promptly took a trip to Jerusalem. :O)

The best part of her trip, however, was that we just got to sit and chat. I honestly don't remember the last time we've had such a luxury to do in person. We IM each other every day, and that's wonderful, but to just sit on the couch and talk about nothing and everything was so nice. Sharon and I have always been really alike - we wind up finishing each other's sentences and guessing each other's responses nearly every time we chat. Sometimes it is spooky, but always fun to know that even though we may not be physically with each other all the time as "in the old days," we do still have that Sister Bond that just doesn't fade. For instance, once she and I were talking via IM, and she was telling me about a rather stressful ambulance run she'd just taken, (she is an EMT), and as we were wrapping up the conversation, I told her to go have a Diet Pepsi and a bath. She quickly typed back that she was already drinking her Pepsi, and that she had planned to hop in the tub as soon as we were done talking! Ah, sisters. Aren't they wonderful!?

Another neat part of her trip was that Sharon is one of the only people on the earth right now that would remember what I looked like as a baby, and be able to compare Abrielle to what I looked like. Since Mom is gone, nobody had yet examined Abrie and compared her to what I was like as a baby. The rest of the family has seen her pictures and commented here and there, but it was nice to have an in-person inspection. Dad, of course has met her, but Dads aren't as good about that stuff as moms and older sisters. ;O)

For example, Sharon told me the red blotch on Abrie's eye was a birthmark like one I had on my own eye. (Well, it was on my forehead and stretched down on my eye). Sharon told me that my birthmark got darker when I was sick and that was Mom's way of knowing how I was feeling... and that it faded away as I got older. You know, stuff I wouldn't know, but will come in handy with Abrie.

Nobody can replace Mom, mind you, but well, Sharon comes awful close.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

((((Hugs)))) What a nice post, Shelly. I, somehow, read the last sentence first and instantly started crying. Not sobbing, but choked up and tears flowing.

I LOVED my time with your crew. I will be back sooner than you might think. Your kids are so nice, and I can't believe how mature they have become. Little Abby is so much like her mama that it's almost spooky! Right down to her giant feet! (Can I mention that she has MY toes!! She is a lucky girl!!)

The highlight of meeting Miss Abby is that I got to see one of her first smiles. It was DELICIOUS! Her mama was holding her and talking softly to her, and Abby smiled!! She looked into her mama's eyes as dimples appeared on a the cutest little face! *YUMMY!*

I did get lost on the way home. Shelly didn't give me directions for going HOME, she just gave me directions for getting THERE. (I found her house with no problems.) I made a mistake and turned west instead of east on I-94, and I crossed the Mighty Mississippi and drove into the Twin Cities. I didn't panic! I was so proud! I found my way back to the interstate and went EAST and did get home after a bit of anxiety. (Nothing that a nice cold Pepsi couldn't sooth. Was there life before Pepsi???)

(Man. It is hard to be me sometimes.)

Shelly, thank you for your kind words. It means so much to me, I just can't tell you. I have told you so many times, but will tell you again: God danced when you were born.

And, you know what? He still is dancing.

Love you, Punkie! Sharon

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you were finally able to get your visit in with Sharon. I know that you were both anxious to have this nice visit.

Isnt' Abrielle something, Sharon!?! We already knew that Adam, Liana, and Aleksa were. I told you she looks like you, and of course Shelly. Didn't know about her toes though. Cute!!! Glad that you did. Good to know about her red spot too. John would get a red spot on the center of his forehead when he would get sick - also when he would drink orange juice. So watch for the spot.

Again, I am so glad that you had such a nice visit.

Sure missing you guys.
Love you lots and lots,
Mom