Saturday, November 20, 2004

"Don't eat it bugs!"

Not a whole lot happening here, but I do have a few cute stories...

The other night when we tucked Aleksa in, instead of us saying, "Good night, sleep tight, don't let the bedbugs bite," she said to us, "Good night, don't eat it bugs!" (We promised we wouldn't!)

A few days ago I was wearing my "Dr. Seuss sweatshirt" around the house. My cousin had given it to me a few months ago. It has the Cat in the Hat on it, as well as "Thing One" and "Thing Two," and a Star-bellied Sneetch and the Grinch. I figured the kids would love me wearing some of the familiar characters in their books. Well, Liana was sitting on my lap chatting with me when she told me I really shouldn't wear that sweatshirt. I was surprised and asked her why. She pointed to each character and said, "Own bad, own bad, own bad, own bad, own bad." ("Own" is my sounded-out spelling of the word for "He.")

Ya know, I guess she's right! What kind of a mama am I?!!! It's amazing how discerning kids can be where parents are sometimes completely oblivious. All three kids will often will tell me at the grocery store that the music is "yucky." They don't know what the songs are saying yet, but obviously they thing the tune says something, and ya know, if you listen to what the words say, they are very often right on the money. Kids are smart people.

The older two had to talk to Uncle Jared in the worst way yesterday. They had been cutting and drawing and pasting a project for him. Then Auntie Cara called me and as we chatted, I mentioned Jared's name. Well, that's all it took, and they started pleading with me to call him. Fun that their English is progressing well enough to do so and be understood by anyone other than me and John. They both enjoyed their chats with their uncle and later begged us to go to Uncle Jared's house to give him their projects.

Adam was extra snuggly yesterday. Every opportunity he had he was either on my lap, next to me, holding my hand, arm around me, etc. We finished the second half of "Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang" last night, and he had to snuggle me like a pillow. (I'm so thankful to be able to get in on this side of him before he "outgrows the desire" to be so affectionate with Mama. I keep telling him that he's going to go rock-rock with Mama until he's 42. He's not so sure about that one...)

John invented a fun game to play with the kids last night. We've been collecting juice-can lids (the kids love to play with those!) We also have a few empty glass pickle jars (the big ones - you know how we go through those things around here!) So, John put a pickle jar on each end of the livingroom, and then we split into two teams. Then, one team takes a lid and tries to maneuver through the room to get it to the "basket" (or jar!) on the other end. The other team can tickle, block, etc. to stop the lid from making it. We had a blast. Even Aleksa got a few "baskets" tonight. She was soooo proud! We're going to have to do more of that game. Great fun!

No comments: