Thursday, November 04, 2004

Verenyky

Well, I decided to go for it, and I whipped up a batch of verenyky tonight for supper. John and I had these in Ukraine, and we've both been hungry for them since. They're like ravioli but in the shape of fortune cookies. They have the pasta/dough stuff on the outside and then meat, potatoes, sauer kraut, or mushrooms on the inside. You can also put raisins, poppy-seeds, prunes, cherries, etc. on the inside and make a dessert with them. We had them with hamburger, onions, salt and pepper inside.

Anyway, they were a HIT! John and I ate them tossed with butter and then dipped in ketchup while we were in Ukraine. (We loved the ketchup there. YUM YUM YUM). The ketchup was the only thing missing tonight. Otherwise, it tasted the same, and we were soooo tickled!

Adam was ecstatic that we had a Ukrainian supper, and kept saying, "Good job, Mama! You're Ukrainian!" (But he said it in Ukrainian). The girls just thought it was fun to roll out the dough with me. It was soooo much fun! Can't wait to try another recipe out. Bread next time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are You Ukrainian:)

I Am, Well Grandad Is! But We Follow What They Do And All That

Could You E-mail The Recipe For Verenyky

They Make It But My Mum Would Like To Try!

And Bosch , I Think Thats How You Spell It!
But Its Like (Betroot Soup)