Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Nice People

Feeling better over here finally. We're all perking up a bit, but I have a cough from deep in my lungs that I don't really like. But at least I feel better.

This afternoon my cousin came by with my krumkake iron (this is Norwegian country up here). I had let her borrow it for the annual Larson Lady Cookie Day (my mom was a Larson). My aunts, cousins, etc. get together every year to bake a gazillion cookies and then divide up. I missed it this year. I would have loved to have gone, but it was in Madison (2 hour drive), and I don't think the girls are ready to embark on such an event. Especially with a house full of "mamas." I need to steer them clear of those situations for a while yet. They crawl up on any warm body who looks remotely friendly, and trust me, my mother's "people" are about as friendly as they come - and THEN some!

Anyway, Sue gave me my cookie iron back, and then gave me a million cookies too! I couldn't believe they gave me a share of the goods too when I wasn't even there! They are so generous! Plus, she gave us flashcards, computer games, clothes for Adam, etc., etc. It felt like Christmas here! What a blessing! I think I can learn a lot from these people. They are some of the most generous and loving people I've ever known. They've really got the "giving" lesson down. They give until it hurts and then they give some more. Yep, I'd like to be more like that.

Lemme see... We ran into Auntie Sharon and Grandpa today while we were out and about, and as we went our separate ways, Liana said to me, "Tyotya Sayla loves it menya!" ("Auntie Sharon loves me!") Sharon has a way of oozing affection all over you. (She's half Larson, you know!) Liana was still talking about her tonight. She giggled and told me she thinks Tyotya Sayla wants her to live at her house. "Probably so!" I told her, "but no way! Not by the hair of my chinny-chin-chin because Liana is MY baby!" She laughed and laughed.

After supper I tried to salvage the dresses that I'm making for the girls. I sure did a number on 'em! They need some kinda help, but I'm going to fake it and hope nobody turns over the hems to see how good of a job I did. I should have started with a much easier pattern than I did. I sewed the matching hats for the dresses tonight, and they turned out cute, though I haven't seen them on the girls yet. John told me I couldn't go in and wake them up to try them. Spoil sport. All I need to do yet on the dresses is put the buttons on the back neck and a little more hemming. The tie-backs I mentioned before will have to wait a bit.

Off to bed now, I'm zonked.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uuhhhhh, does anyone want to adopt ME? :) Lisa S.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sharon! What a beautiful family Adam,Liana and Aleksa have- lucky, lucky kiddos!! :) Lisa S.

apples said...

Can't believe you make krumkaker over there! I would have thought we were the only ones who made those funny things... Norwegian country can't be bad though... as long as you don't get our November weather :)