Saturday, November 13, 2004

Sick-o's

Sorry y'all, I've not been feeling the greatest this weekend. I had a fever on and off all day yesterday, and we've been really busy anyway, so I've been wrung out by bedtime. (Keeping it short tonight as well; just wanted y'all to know where I've been!)

Yesterday a friend came by and gave the kids a giant box of icecream treats. Talk about becoming an instant best friend! It was sure nice of her, and the kids talked about her for the rest of the afternoon. (She even promised to bring her puppy over next time!)

Adam went hunting with the guys in my side of the family. He and John just went along for the fun of it (didn't bring guns, that is). Adam sure felt all important though, that he got to go somewhere with Papa.

We girls stayed home and made cookies. I made some divinity and some Ukrainian honey cookies. I might have done something wrong with them, but they weren't the greatest. I'd never had them before, but apparently they are pretty typical. I'm used to ooey-gooey-super-sweet-chocolate-on-the-outside-caramel-on-the-inside kind of American cookies, I guess. I noticed while in Ukraine that their sweets aren't as sweet as ours to begin with, so maybe that's the issue. Not sure. We had some breakfast sweet-bread there once that was really hard for me to get all the way through... It *really* needed some powdered-sugar frosting on top.

Liana isn't feeling the greatest either. She and I crashed early last night on the couch, and has been sniffling and coughing today.

People have been noticing more and more that when you have a chat with the kids, that they are speaking mostly English back to them - and that they understand them. I talked to Adam on the phone today when he and John were at my dad's house after The Hunt. This was only the second time I've ever talked to any of the kids on the phone. He spoke all English to me, (very short responses though), and instead of his "Dah's," he said, a very polite-sounding, "yes." He has a very sweet, high, Vienna-boy-choir-like speaking voice. He can't really hold a tune when he sings, but he has a sweet-sounding voice when he hits the right notes. Anyway, he sounded very "proper" on the phone, and he actually reminded me of an English (as in "from England") boy.

I'm exhausted. Night everyone!

1 comment:

Marnie said...

I hope you all revive soon. Maybe it's good to get the colds and flus out of the way before Christmas? Take care and enjoy those little ones.